3. Carnival Sunrise
Arrived at the port around 11 and only weddings and media were being checked in. So we waited maybe 15 minutes and then we were able to get to the check-in scanner-holding people who scanned your passport and check marked your boarding pass. On through Security and then a short wait in the lounge with the other platinum guests; boarding started around 11:45. Went to our 9C aft wrap cabin to drop off our carry-ons. Cabin decor is nice with blue and beige. Closet space could be larger, or have drawers somewhere. There just one shelf high above where hangers go in both closets. Nightstand has a little storage; prior occupant left some lotion in the cabinet. Bathroom decor updated but not the toilet as it had a black ring in it that would not come off. Shampoo and body wash were good. Mattress was very comfy. Empty fridge which promptly received our bottle of wine we brought onboard. The balcony itself has not been re-done. The flooring had holes in it and whoever mopped it got wads of mop rope in it. Also the black rubber rings around the windows were in bad shape and missing on the inside in some places. This is where Carnival lacks attention to detail. And the tvs are blaring when you enter the cabin. This is an issue with their tvs---every time you turn it on the volume is blasting. Also, I noticed there was only one lounger on our huge balcony and asked the cabin steward to get another. He had some excuse like "this is how they're doing it now" however, once I was able to reach Guest Services on the phone, (on hold way too long hearing how important my call is) that person called the floor manager and shortly after that, another lounge chair showed up. So to those who get our cabin next: you're welcome! Headed to Guy's Pig and Anchor and enjoyed an outdoor lunch there. Wandered forward to Serenity area which was very nice. Huge hot tub; its own bar area. We liked this area a lot (and it helped that we were the only ones there at that time) but since our balcony had loungers, we spent most of our lounging time there. We came across brand ambassador John Heald while in NYC port and reminisced about our 2 day Carnival Dream cruise years ago--in a nor'easter. It was an adventure on a brand new ship. He was there for the ship-naming ceremony and was soon off to catch Legend in Alaska. It's odd on this class of ship to see cabins on deck 5 aft where the piano bar, comedy club and one other club used to be. The Comedy club is now in Limelight lounge which worked out just fine although people had difficulty finding the mid-ship entrance to Limelight. The night club that used to be across from Alchemy is gone and the piano bar is now there along with Red Frog which was host to many events. Nice, open space. Didn't like walking through the casino to get mid-ship. The shops are the shops, and the Java Coffee bar that also used to be on deck 5 is now in the atrium area of deck 4. Had very interesting and delicious-looking donuts and muffins there. Game room (with board games) is gone and a few games are in the corner of the coffee bar. There is also a coffee bar in the buffet and we got cappuccinos there. The ropes course looked cool. There is a pool table up there too that we tried to use on a sea day. Can't do it when there is any ship movement. There is outdoor exercise equipment there, as well as the basketball court, and up one deck is mini golf. Water slides looked fun but we didn't get to them this cruise. Spa pass in a non-spa cabin was $69+ for the 4 days. Gave you access to the saunas, steam rooms, infrared room and heated loungers.  Liked the outdoor movie screen and we caught the end of the newer Mamma Mia movie. 2 movies showed every evening. Muster still takes too long. Carnival must be the only line that still makes you line up outside vs. sitting in a theater or restaurant. We had YourTime dining option, and the one night we went for dinner in the dining room we went to the check-in desk on deck 5, waited in a very short line, got our table assignment and took the paper to the aft dining room and we were seated right away. Worked out nicely, and has pretty much every time we've done this since Carnival introduced the option a few years ago. Forgot we could have used the HUB app to secure our table. Got a reservation at Fahrenheit 555 on board. Food and service was very good. It's a smaller restaurant since it is part of what used to be the upper area of the mid-ship dining room. Tried a few times but we were not able to get a reservation at the Italian restaurant. We were waitlisted and they did call us the last night for an 8:30 reservation which we declined. Also tried out Bonsai, and the appetizer and roll we had were both very good. Guy's burgers are consistently good. I did miss the Mongolian Grill as that was my favorite restaurant on Carnival ships. Buffet is a madhouse at breakfast time so we went to Blue Iguana where hardly anyone else was. Check the Fun Times to see where omelet stations are--there are several at various locations, as well as other breakfast options. Sea Day brunch was very nice and there is a new menu. I missed chicken diavolo and the froot loop crusted french toast, yet there were other good things to have. Pastas, burgers, breakfast items, etc. Everything we had was good at the brunch and I used my platinum drink coupon here for a mojito. I took a pic of the menu but I have to try to remember how to post it! Chocolate Extravaganza is now just a few cakes and a fondue station. The dark chocolate cake was very good. The new map channel is useless. Bring back the old one! I still do like the bridge cam to see what's ahead of us since our view was side and behind the ship. I liked CD Chris from Scotland and his never-ending selection of kilts. I loved when his announcement ended with something like "whatever you do, put FUN in it." Thought that was great. Welcome Aboard show in the Liquid Lounge. I expected to see previews of cruise entertainment, but it was Chris the CD talking to the audience and having a contest which would determine VIPs for the cruise. Just took longer than I expected. Then there was a 10 minute performance of the singers/dancers which was just ok. We didn't go to any of the shows except both comedians. The guy was very funny. Musicians around the ship were quite good. We have OBC from our TA and Carnival gives me a hard time when I want to split it among the people in our cabin. Why can't they just split it between the people sharing the cabin like other lines do. Becomes a pain to have to figure out who gets what or what to pay for on my account to cover their OBC. Also, on the tv (and Carnival Hub app) your account seems to get higher and higher $ but they don't show the OBC being deducted. You have to go to Guest Services to get that (or a kiosk to print out your statement). All things I wish worked simpler on Carnival. Platinum gift was the lanyard with the cheapest, junkiest plastic to hold your cruise card. Nothing else onboard to trade it for I was told. Believe me, I asked. First sea day was quite rough but not our first rough seas to Bermuda. During the cruise we had wind, rain, sun, more rain, more sun. Quite a variety. We arrived in Bermuda just after the beautiful Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas. It was windy in Bermuda, so we got to Horseshoe via the $7 shuttle, and no umbrellas were being rented due to wind. We did see one go flying, so we understood. Nothing here is cheap--the 2 lounge chairs we got were $44. It really is a beautiful beach and it does, in the right light, look pink. In summary, I was overdue for a cruise and it hit the spot. I love being at sea on the balcony; it's my bliss. However, I do wish Carnival had done a real overhaul everywhere bow to stern since there was rust all over the stern, the window rubber I mentioned already, etc. There was also a foul smell mid-ship on the lower decks near the lobby occasionally. I was glad we were staying at the stern. A short cruise is better than no cruise!

Sunrise's first cruise out of NYC May 2019

Carnival Sunrise Cruise Review by mizLORInj

• Sail Date: May 2019
  • Destination: Bermuda
  • Cabin Type: Premium Vista Balcony

A short cruise is better than no cruise!
mizLORInj’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Sunrise price drops

Premium Vista Balcony
Cabin 9C
Excellent cabin interior nicely redone. Balcony was not redone at all and there is rust, etc. all showing signs of the older ship.
Verandah Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins