• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

Sail Date: Apr 2019
Cabin: Single Oceanview
Queen Victoria alongside in Tallinn
The Church on the Spilled Blood, St Petersburg, imposing despite the renova

There’s no point beating about the bush. Booking my first cruise filled me with dread; at one stroke I was destroying my credibility as an independent traveller. 15 years and 40 cruises later, I admit I couldn’t have been more wrong. Sea travel has opened up a new world of exploration and last week I repeated my first ever cruise, but this time with Cunard. Would the grand histories of the Baltic ports be matched by the royal splendours of Queen Victoria?

THE PORTS

Every city on the Baltic itinerary is steeped in history and if palaces, galleries and cathedrals are your thing then this cruise does not disappoint. And if, like me, you appreciate Scandinavian art and design, the ports have some wonderful specialist shops and art studios as well. Be prepared for eye watering prices, however. A cup of coffee and a pastry in Copenhagen for £9 is one thing, but £925 for a cake slice is quite another, albeit an exquisite one designed by Georg Jensen.

Single Oceanview

Cabin KC

Spacious with generous wardrobe space and plenty of drawers. The windows are larger than in normal seaview cabins and provide panoramic views. Noe, my steward, was brilliant and always took time out to chat about days ashore. The cabin was always maintained carefully and professionally. I would happily book it again.

10 Helpful Votes