3. Carnival Sunrise
My husband and I sailed on Sunrise from NYC to Bermuda. This was our second cruise, with the first being about 15 years ago, also on Carnival. Overall, we had a wonderful vacation, but that was most certainly in spite of Carnival and not because of them. The Good: Our room (7593) was beautiful. It was a balcony room on the 7th deck, had a very comfortable bed and sitting area, and an updated bathroom. We had no issues or complaints whatsoever with our room. Guy's Burger Joint was SO flipping good. Eat here for all of your meals (no really, see below). The brick oven pizza and ice cream 24/7 were also quite good and the pastry chef is top notch--don't skip dessert! The embarkation process was ridiculously easy, straightforward and well done. We got our bags delivered within about an hour, and had immediate access to our room (we arrived on time for our 12:30pm embarkation time). The Serenity deck was lovely. Very comfortable and quiet area; you truly felt like you were away from it all. The downside was that we had rough seas and high winds for both of our days at sea, so we had a really small window to enjoy it. This is obviously not Carnival's fault, but was still a bummer. The fitness area is also great; I got in a good workout on the ship and appreciated having access to the equipment. The Bad: The crew had inconsistent and contradictory communication throughout our time there. Paperwork says---be at your muster station by 3pm. Cruise director announces--don't go to your muster station until I tell you to (which is well after 3pm). The morning of debarkation, the cruise director announces that we should stay in our rooms until our deck is called. We do so, and housekeeping knocks on our door; each time we say we're here waiting for our deck to be called, they apologize and say they'll let someone know. After the third time, I ask the person why they keep knocking if we're supposed to wait in our rooms until our deck is called. They say that we need to be out of our rooms by 8:30am (it's 8:28am and they've been knocking since 8am). I ask how would we have known that? He says it was on our paperwork from last night, and I say we never received it. At that point, we decide that we're not waiting anymore and we get up and leave/make our way off the boat. We're on our cruise to celebrate our anniversary, and our steward (Slam) leaves us a $50 spa gift card. It expires the next day, so we call the Spa immediately to see if they can fit my husband in for a massage. They do so, and when he goes to settle up, he provides them with the gift card. They tell him that they can't accept it, that it's only good for certain treatments and that they have already discounted his service. We contact the Spa Manager, and after a bit of back and forth they take off the amount of the gift card. We booked a shore excursion and when we got to Bermuda we headed out for a leisurely morning until the time of our excursion (12pm). We decided to stop back at our room and it's a good thing we did; the Carnival staff slipped a piece of paper under our door after we left that morning to let us know that our excursion had been cancelled due to weather. The weather was lovely that day, so there's really no way we would have known unless we stopped by our room. Again, really poor communication. The food on the boat is gross. We tried the Deli, the main dining room, the Italian place and the buffet. The buffet is basically the same food as the main dining room, and it was really bland and of poor quality. Also, there are dirty cups and plates all over, and I wish that Carnival had a space where you could drop that stuff off versus everyone just leaving stuff on the table--gross. The service from dining room staff and the steward was basically nonexistent. No one was very friendly or helpful, and that was a shame. One night, my husband burned his hand on pizza that fell back due to a boat movement. Trying to get an ice pack for it became a comedy of errors. We went to the Medical Center our deck 0, and were sent away with plastic bags and told to go to the bar to get ice. Thankfully, another Carnival staff member saw us looking frustrated and took us up to the bar and got the ice for us. That was wonderful and much appreciated, but it shouldn't have been so difficult to get a little help. One night at dinner, several other people on the boat shared that they were experiencing sewage back ups in their rooms. Thankfully, we had none of that, but that's just nasty and not acceptable. Additionally, my husband wasn't aware of the history of the Surnise (as the Triumph), and when we got on the boat he said to me that he kept smelling an odd odor, like poop. Sure enough, even with a $200 million face lift, you can't fix some things. We loved Bermuda, and were able to find a great snorkeling spot on our own via public transport (i.e. skip the waste of money on an excursion!). We loved our room. We loved the time at sea. But, we were constantly frustrated and disappointed by the Carnival team and would not return to that cruise line.

Subpar Experience on the Sunrise