Celebrity Edge Cruise Review

Transatlantic Crossing April 28, 2019

Celebrity Edge Cruise Review by gifted

• Sail Date: Apr 2019
  • Destination: Transatlantic

We booked this cruise because we wanted to try out the Celebrity Edge from Ft. Lauderdale to Europe. We were planning to leave the ship in Le Harve, France for a river cruise to Normandy, and saw this as an opportunity to easily travel the Atlantic. We got off in Le Harve the day before the ship sailed to Southampton.

First of all, I read the other review of the Edge Transatlantic, and I am thinking these people were not on my same cruise. To make a big deal over shampoo or sounds in the wind, give me a break! The ship is beautiful, had great service, great dining, great entertainment, and a relatively smooth sailing. I have been on many ships, including three trans Atlantics, and did not experience rough seas on this sailing. Maybe those people on the top decks should have been down on Ocean View cabins like me. We know better crossing the ocean.

Our cabin was on deck three near the front elevator. The only criticism I have for the cabin is having to walk the length of the ship every day to get to dining. The restaurants were at the back of the ship and we were on the front. It was near the theater. We liked the idea of being able to eat in 4 different restaurants every night and had no problems making reservations for early seating. The service was excellent and food choices plentiful. The buffet dining in the cafe was not good at night. There was very little choice, the same menus, and not as good as other ships we have been om.

The shows were great. We especially loved the first night entertainment of December 63 which featured Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons music. They had lovely voices, and a high energy show. Lorraine Crosby one night did a terrific show of Queen and other rock music. Every night there was entertainment in the theater. I did not particularly like the Celebrity production shows. Also they featured lectures, extra shows, and other events during the day. We knew that there was no library on board, so we brought digital books with us. The ship provided a restaurant every day for games to allow people to play. i took advantage of this by hooking up with fellow cruises to play cards on sea days.

My husband liked the fitness area and said it was very modern with lots of excellent machines. He never had to wait for one the whole cruse.

The shops were too high end. Not everyone needs expensive jewelry and watches. They were empty and I missed the typical sales that most ships offer. None were available. I think Celebrity will have to rethink these shops for most cruisers.

The ship excursions were typical, my only criticism was the day in Lisbon where we had a very poor excursion with a poor tour guide. It was one of the worst tours we ever were on. It did not help that it was raining all day. The other days were sunny but cooler with better tour guides. We did not have many ports to visit on this itinerary.

It is a waste of money to book a high verandah cabin crossing the Atlantic. We know this so we booked an outside cabin which was more than comfortable. Our cabin steward, Garvin, gave us excellent attention.

I would highly recommend the Edge. We booked another Celebrity cruise on board for next year and think highly of them. This was one of the best cruises I ever have taken.

gifted's Full Rating Summary