Britannia Cruise Review

Great destination, won't rush back to ship, sorry

Britannia Cruise Review by Love to travel217

• Sail Date: May 2019
  • Destination: Europe

Norwegian fjords on Britannia in May, great weather overall. Ports and excursions great.

Embarkation was smooth although delayed 2 hours. disembarkation was chaotic due to arriving late due to issues with Britannia and then coinciding with a Take That concert in Southampton. The area around the port was absolutely chaotic. We were due originally to be leaving ship at 09:45am and got off eventually at about 6.00pm! Port staff in car park didn't have a clue.

We have cruised with other operators and this the first time with P and O, We were really excited to be going on Britannia but have been left a little underwhelmed to be honest. The ship just didn't seem to have the Wow factor for us compared to others, maybe just our taste though.

The cabin was great, and our porter was superb, really friendly and helpful.

The dining was ok, we did freedom dining, and the available restaurants were ok, but choice of food was to us a little limited and sameish. The Horizon buffet was very canteenish, but the food was plentiful, but the buffet was very very busy most of the time.

Restaurant staff very hard working and friendly.

Didn't take up the option of paying an extra £35 for a three course meal listening to Gareth Gates sing.

Quite good daily information regarding next days entertainment of which there was plenty to do.

Although a lot of people onboard there was always somewhere to sit so that was great.

Drinks onboard are very reasonable. Nearly purchased the wine deal, glad I didn't.

We did see quite a lot of dehumidifiers working on carpets, so must have some plumbing issues?

We were woken up two nights, once at about 02.00am with the tannoy calling for emergency crew to attend a suspected fire. Not what you want to hear. We were told about half an hour later by the captain that it wasn't a fire and all was under control. Still left us nervous.

The following night the ship lost all power at about 04.00am, woken up by the tannoy going bing bong. No lights in cabin, and engine power lost, captain again apologised later saying all was well. But not for me I'm afraid.

One night the toilets wouldn't flush. It was sorted out quite quickly to be honest.

Too many things for me though, ship needs a bit of tlc I think. Maybe these things happen??

All that said I still enjoyed the cruise, fjords lovely, crew friendly (apart from some frosty reception staff), just no overall Wow factor. If it's meant to be contemporary, it looks dull to me.

Would I go on Britannia again, no.

P and O? Not sure.