3. Explorer of the Seas
My wife and I chose this Canaries cruise with Royal Caribbean for my birthday, having cruised with them 11 times previously, but I'm sorry to say this may well be our last. Please don't take me wrong, neither of us are snobs or whingers, and I've never had a bad word for R.C, but this cruise has left us both a little cold. Embarcation: Long standing queues, no usual welcoming tipple. Stateroom: No coffee, No tea, 2 tiny long life milk tubs, no spare loo roll despite asking, which ran out on day 3 and had to use the box of tissues, sticky cabin floor and stained carpets, Fridge totally inoperative, and the stateroom felt tired and abused - stayed in better 2* hotels!...... oh, and the bottle of bubbly my missus had preordered and paid for NEVER arrived, although we got a spa discount instead, which ended up costing us more money AND the 'hard sell' of 'Buy these products we've used on you for an extra hundred and something dollars' only to be subjected to the 'face like chewing a wasp' when we declined. The room Steward was a friendly guy though, trying his best through adversity, and an obviously too heavy workload. At this stage, we went down and requested the $29 dollar per day tips removed from our cruise account..... everything seems now to be geared around tipping, even though we mainly used Speciality Restaurants (and paid extra), and the Windjammer self service, (we only used the main restaurant twice) and every time we had a drink there was already a service charge added to the bill! I'll always tip for over and above service, but this was cr*p! although we did tip our Steward in cash at the end as we usually do. The poor staff are obsessed with feedback.... even the photographer who expected me to get up and pose for a paid photo HALF WAY THROUGH MY DINNER! Main Restaurant: Food OK, although only word to describe it would be 'rushed' so used only twice. Speciality Restaurants: Hey! a good word at last I hear you cry! Both Chops Grille, and Giovanni's excellent, both food and staff Johnny Rocket's : 10 minute wait in outside part with no staff show, so finally went inside and ordered...... only 4 other people present, so no rush then! Shows: Ice show a spectacular triumph, greatly talented performers. Disembarcation: Self carry-off was a farce at 6am......... no staff present, and queue where you like standing for 20 minutes, even in front of lifts, gangways and stairs.... very safe I'm sure -NOT! Saving grace..... met some lovely people. Sorry to say this may well be our last R.C Cruise, the downhill slide is now very 'In Your Face' , and with all the expected extras, Cruise Lines not paying their staff a living wage and declining staff levels, the sad fact is I bet we're not the only ones. Rant over! bet you didn't guess I'm a bit disillusioned!

Disillusioned and saddened by declining standards

Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by gadgetgray

• Sail Date: May 2019
  • Destination: Europe
  • Cabin Type: Ocean View Balcony

Embarcation: Long standing queues, no usual welcoming tipple.

Shows: Ice show a spectacular triumph, greatly talented performers.

Saving grace..... met some lovely people.

Rant over! bet you didn't guess I'm a bit disillusioned!
gadgetgray’s Full Rating Summary