MSC Divina Cruise Review

MSC Divina Cruise Review by Maxijet

• Sail Date: May 2019
  • Destination: the Western Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: Balcony Stateroom

People often ask what was my worst cruise and I answer I've never had a bad one. I can still say that after my mediocre experience cruising the Mediterranean from Rome (Civitavecchia) last week on MSC Divina. Had it not been for the complimentary balcony upgrade I would have given them a "Poor" rating.

Overall it is a nice ship and most of the staff friendly with good entertainment. Nice workout facility and plenty to do on board. Unfortunately the food was barely a step above your local buffet restaurants, that included the sit down dinners. Perhaps that is why they were constantly walking through promoting the specialty restaurants while you were in the main restaurant or buffet. Quite often the hand sanitizer machines were empty, though the ship was mostly clean.

The boarding process seemed a little informal without giving you much direction on what to do next. We were sent to our room where the door was opened and only one key card on the bed. We had to go to the reception desk to request the other card. We had to visit guest services a few times because promotions offered to us weren't made clear without having to ask for them repeatedly. Also the bedding configuration wasn't as requested. They corrected that before bedtime.

The destinations were great, though sometimes difficult for people with mobility issues. You could always catch free or low cost shuttles outside the ship if you're willing and able to walk. Otherwise you may want to consider purchasing the shuttles provided by the ship.

I've actually sailed this exact ship before from Miami years ago. Perhaps that is the difference. Maybe it's the European culture where iced tea is not served. I'm okay with that. But finding out the only free beverages are small cups of water from the ice machine, coffee, or hot tea didn't go over well compared to other cruises. They do have free juice from machines at breakfast. Our first dinner in the Black Crab restaurant was a bad experience when we asked for water and tea and the waitress explained there was a cost for it since they only served bottled water and hot tea (though canned ice tea was also available for purchase). Turns out I had some kind of promotion that made the bottled water and hot tea free at lunch or dinner in the restaurant. So that was fine. But it got worse. The first course I discovered hair in the food. They were very apologetic, asked for my room number, and gave us free sodas and wine with lunch or dinner the rest of the trip.

I realize the hair thing is likely an isolated incident. And the free water is minor in the whole scheme of things. Vacations cost money. I suspect if MSC spent more time trying to please the customer rather than saving themselves money, it would have been a more pleasant journey. I am used to cruise ships nickel and dining you, but this time they seem to go to far.

Maxijet's Full Rating Summary

Balcony Stateroom
Cabin B2 13098

The mid ship room itself is sufficient, however closet space is limited to about two suitcases. Bathroom doors close inward allowing more space when not in use.

This cabin is below the activity deck, so if you don't mind the sounds of foot steps often it is fine. Makes it easy to get up to buffet though.

European cruise only offered news channels on the TV in English. Even American shows were dubbed in Italian or German.

Rome (Civitavecchia)

Rome is always great to visit. Took the City Sightseeing hop on hop off bus tour. Unfortunately our particular bus was a bad choice. Needed more staff to accommodate new passengers as it held us up often, with some of their own busses arriving and leaving before ours resumed. Sit on the left side for better views.

Palermo (Sicily)

Hop on, hop off bus a short distance from the port.

Sardinia

Free shuttle to city center where we boarded hop on hop off bus, though sights were far apart.

Palma de Mallorca (Majorca)

Beautiful city. Boarded hop on hop off bus outside port.

Maxijet