3. Carnival Sunrise
I chose Carnival Sunrise because it left from Norfolk and was an easy departure point as I was taking my entire family on the cruise. It was the first cruise for many of them; so their first cruise experience. I have sailed Carnival before and have enjoyed the experience. I can not say the same for this trip. I had high expectations since I had heard so much hype about the renovations and upgrades. I was disappointed and wondered where the money was spent. There was a lot of rust in places, loose carpet, and general maintenance issues. There were long lines in the Lido marketplace at all the meals. The flow wasn’t very good. The Lido deck did have the water slide which my kids enjoyed. There was also putt-putt golf, basketball, fossball, and a pool table. My family enjoyed the pool and the rope course. My kids did enjoy their trip and the travel and the visits to Nassau and Freeport. I was disappointed in the quality of the food (very bland). The chefs seemed to want to be innovative, trying to mix flavors and textures. But the food didn’t have a lot of flavor. I heard that Guy’s BBQ was good, but I didn’t enjoy it. The Guy’s Burger Joint was awesome as usual. And ice cream was always available. The wait staff at our table in the dining room was good, not great. They seemed new and not quite sure of their role. Our waiter, Idewa, was very pleasant and good with the kids. There was no anticipation of guest needs or desires as I have experienced in the past. Service was also slow. And the “shows” in the dining room were not on par with what I have enjoyed on past cruises. I was also disappointed with the dining experience as this was a family trip. My two sisters and I had booked the cruise together and requested family to be seated together for the early dining. Unfortunately, my sister and her daughter and granddaughter were placed on the lower level and the rest were on the upper level. When she bought this to the attention of the maître d’, she was treated rudely and told that it was too late to make a change. The entertainment, family-wise, was not family friendly. I did not attend many of the shows because they weren’t age appropriate for my younger grandchildren. And the movies were PG-13. On my previous Carnival cruise 2 years ago, I spent every evening on the Lido deck watching family friendly movies. I never watched one movie on the Lido deck on this cruise. There was very little TV programming for children either while we were in the cabin; just Cartoon Network and Blue’s Clues. Room-wise, I had a spa balcony. I was originally on Deck 2 with my family, but after two room changes by Carnival, ended up on Deck 11. Not a hardship by any means. But I had requested adjoining rooms because I was helping my daughter and son-in-law with their children. I was told there was no adjoining rooms on Deck 2. Lo and behold, my two sisters arrived to find they had adjoining rooms where I was originally supposed to be on Deck 2. They had not requested adjoining rooms. There were highs and lows. Pictures were not great. Photographers were more interested in quick shots without much imagination, and not much quality. I bought a couple of my family that were ok, but discarded a lot because they weren’t very good. And as one previous reviewer commented, you were nickleled-and-dimed a lot. Disembarkation: what a cluster. It took us two hours to get off the ship. Decks were called in order, and since we were on Deck 11, we were called last. It was very difficult to get an elevator. We made it to Deck 5 and sat on the floor with our luggage for an hour. We had to be out of our cabins by 8:30, and not a lot of available public space to sit with the kids. Once our deck was called, we finally made it on an elevator to Deck 3, then were unable to get off as the area was jam packed with other guests. I can say things did go quickly once we were around the corner and in the hallway. I think feeder lines on Deck 3 and more assistance from staff for crowd control would have made this easier. Overall, I give this cruise and ship a 3 out of 5.

Not very family oriented

Carnival Sunrise Cruise Review by Shelda63

• Sail Date: May 2019
  • Destination: Bahamas
  • Cabin Type: Spa Balcony

Overall, I give this cruise and ship a 3 out of 5.
Shelda63’s Full Rating Summary
Ages Under 3
Ages 3 to 6
Ages 7 to 9
Ages 10 to 12
Get Carnival Sunrise price drops

Spa Balcony
Cabin 8S 1115
Nice bathroom. Limited space for clothing storage. Very small balcony. Two chairs, but not really comfortable seating. Bland, uninteresting colors. Did have a nice big TV. Map Channel did not work.
Spa Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins