3. Norwegian Pearl
I wanted to go on a TransAtlantic crossing and thought the ports we visited were very interesting and enjoyable. The A.G.E. virus was brought on board by a passenger on this trip; I had been on the trip right before it and there were no problems of this sort. The General Manager announced that there was a problem at the end of the Q&A by the Hotel Department and then they spent the rest of the trip trying to get the situation under control by increasing measures and restrictions. If it is true that this virus takes a day or two to show up, I can see why this was so difficult. Personally I didn't get sick and spent part of every day in my favorite area, the Bridge Viewing Room. In addition, I ate dinner most nights with the Solo Travelers Group in the main dining room and only one of them had gotten sick. I talked to a person from the cruise at the airport in Toronto after the cruise and she said that she was exposed to someone who was sick in her transportation from the airport before the trip and she was one of the folks who got sick early in the trip. Even if the original sick person had not been allowed to come on board, the others would have brought the illness on board. As a school teacher, we have similar problems with sick people exposing others and this is a tough problem to deal with any where. Another reviewer from this trip (someone who did get sick) had a very negative view of the measures that were taken to try to prevent the problem from spreading and also complained about the use of the ship's tenders in one of the ports. I think that it is good that the ships have to practice using their own tenders in case we actually need to use them in an emergency and didn't find the process tedious as was described by the person who didn't get the opportunity to see the historic port where we landed through the eyes of persons who were able to enter and land at this very interesting location. I feel bad for people who go on a TranAtlantic, North Atlantic cruise in the spring who didn't assume that they would encounter colder weather but had been sold on the trip as being a nice cheap two week cruise. My main reason for going on the TranAtlantic cruise was that I wanted to experience the crossing and am looking forward to going to Rome in October to take the Pearl's trip back to Miami, Florida. I really enjoy being on the Ocean and watching the weather and how the ship reacts to it as well as watching coming in and out of ports. I'm not one who enjoys "regular cruise ship activities" like hanging out at the pool or spas or going to the gym or shows but I really enjoy walking the outside decks and just being on the water and visiting the ports. I think that it is great that so many people can be on the same ship, taking the same cruise and all having very different and personalized experiences and think that is a great benefit of a cruise ship. The reason I only gave the trip a 4 is that there was a notable problem with passenger complaining and non compliance with reasonable requests made by the crew that then made it harder for the crew to not absorb some of their negativity and because some of the activities I had planned to do were cancelled due to the above listed illness problems. If I had known when I signed up to go what I know now, I definitely would have gone of this trip and am looking forward to a Rome to Rome trip on the NCL Pearl that I am doing this July as well.

I'm glad I went on this trip

Norwegian Pearl Cruise Review by GEMarshall

• Sail Date: April 2019
  • Destination: Europe
  • Cabin Type: Mid-Ship Inside

GEMarshall’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Pearl price drops

Mid-Ship Inside
Cabin IE 5581
My cabin has the bed facing a fore & aft which was very comfortable in seas. I did need to put a folded bandana in the top of each drawer to create additional friction to keep it from coming open in rolling seas and wrapped a towel around the shower door's top to keep the door from slamming open and shut in heavy seas. The electrician created a new led closet light for me from "scratch" since my old light was not working correctly. I found the cabin very spacious for one person and very conveniently located to all I would want to do and very easy to get on and off for shore excursions. I would definitely use that cabin again.
Deck 5 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins

• Amsterdam
    This is the port where I got off of the ship and I spent 2 days at a hotel near the airport before flying home. It was nice to see the two separate sides of the city, the central city by public train and Hop on Hop Off canal boat" as well as walking the area near the hotel which was west of the airport. I'm glad I spent the extra time in Amsterdam as opposed to just flying straight home after my cruise.
    View All 768 Amsterdam Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Amsterdam Cruise Port Review
  • Canal Boat Tour
    I went on a tour in Ghent by both driving and canal boat. It would have been nice to have had more time in Ghent, but I felt I saw a lot and enjoyed what we did as well.
    View All 33 Canal Boat Tour Reviews
  • Cobh (Cork)
    I just went walking around the town and felt like I was at home there. I ate brunch at a local coffee shop and late afternoon lunch at a small local restaurant. I really enjoyed wandering around and feeling welcomed and happy.
    View All 335 Cobh (Cork) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Cobh (Cork) Cruise Port Review
  • Powerscourt Gardens
    I really enjoyed the spring day at the gardens and then enjoyed the couple of hours we spent in Dublin. I also enjoyed the experience of being able to tender in on the ships boats into the historic harbor and even enjoyed watching the deck crew put the life boats away on both sides of the ship after their use that day.
    View All 15 Powerscourt Gardens Reviews
  • D-Day Beaches
    I enjoyed the scenery and historic aspect of what we saw. I agree that having a longer time would have been even better but am really glad we got to see and do what we did.
    View All 60 D-Day Beaches Reviews
  • City Tour
    Our tour was called Land & Sea since the bus tour was supplemented by a short trip on a Thames River Ferry. I'm glad I took the time to go to London but we were short of time due to the drive to and from the port but that drive was interesting and informative as well.
  • New York (Manhattan)
    I was a through passenger so got to spend the day doing what I wanted to in New York and was able to get back on at 3:00 after all of the other passengers had boarded so I didn't have a common experience at the embarkation.
    View All 999 New York (Manhattan) Cruise Port Reviews