3. Allure of the Seas
This is my first review ever on a ship. Previously, I have sailed with Carnival, Princess and NCL. We tried Royal because we heard great things about it and it did not disappoint. Obviously, there were some things that could have been improved on but overall, the cruise was great. Here are just some highlights. Pros: Embarkation - when we check in online about 2 weeks before, we were told to show up at 1pm. However, we had to be out of our hotel room at 11am and we didn't want to wait at the hotel, so we just went right to the cruise port.Even thought we had to be there at 1, we got there around 11am and were on the boat by noon. Very very smooth. We read before that Windjammer got really busy at that time and boy there weren't wrong, so we made our way to Wipe Out Cafe towards the back of the boat and had no problem. Staff: For the most part, all the staff we encountered were wonderful! My room attendant was on point with everything and very friendly. My other family members also enjoyed their room attendant. We chose My Time Dining and had reservations every night (more on that later). We loved our waiter and staff the first night so we requested them for the rest of the ship and they were again...wonderful! They knew our drinker order after the 1st night and were very timely with everything. If we needed to get to a show right after dinner, we let them know and they made sure we had plenty of time to eat and then find seats. Kudos to them! The only staff member that I didn't care for was someone at the Guess Service Desk. Royal offers luggage service now where they pick up your luggage the last night of the cruise and you don't see it until you arrive at your home destination. Well, because we were on a cruise, we lost track of time and missed the deadline to bring the form down to Guest Services by 1/2hr. Only a 1/2hr. We when told the worker, she was like Nope, you're too late and turned and walk away. Very very rude. Food: I am not a picky eater so maybe that is why I enjoyed what I ate. The options in the main dining room was great. I could always find something to eat. Wind Jammer is your typically buffet but they provide plenty of options. I preferred breakfast and lunch in the Solarium because it was a lot quieter and relaxing. Not as many options as Wind Jammer but it got the job done. We paid for one special resturant (Giovanni's) and it was fantastic! The food was great as well as the staff. I would go back in a heart bet. Room: Granted I was in a room by myself but there is plenty of room. Not sure I would share it with more than 1 adult though. Room was very clean and tidy. Everything worked great. Balcony was wonderful. Luggage (as I'm sure you are reading everywhere else) is scattered down the hall on Day 1 so you need to find it. Luckily, mine was right outside my door and so were the the rest of my families but I did hear some people mumble and grumble about it.The bathroom is tiny but worked well for my needs. Cons: My Time Dining: We chose My Time Dining and made reservations for most of the nights for 7pm. Now, you would think with reservations you could just go right in and be all set but no, you had to wait in line upwards of 15mins to even tell them that you were there. And then sometimes, you still had to wait to be seated. If we cruise Royal again, we would not chose that option. It was a joke. While the wait staff were fantastic, we didn't appreciate having to wait to be seated even with reservations. Elevators: There were over 6,000 people on board with 12 elevators so of course there would be waiting and sometimes they would be full. But the elevators are just plain wonky! You stand outside waiting to get in and notice that some of them aren't even moving?!?! Why has it been on desk 3 of 5mins while I'm waiting? Simply does not make sense. Ports of Call: We chose this itinerary because of the ports of call. We were suppose to go to St. Kitts, St. Thomas and the Bahamas. A week before our cruise, we got notified that something is wrong with the boat and we are no longer going to St. Thomas but now to San Juan. Been there, done that, had no interest in going back. Okay, fine I get it but still. We were looking forward to going to St. Kitts and the Bahamas still but were disappointed in the shore excursions. On St. Kitts we did a Scenic Railway Tour. Nothing that scenic about looking at broken down cars in people's yards, trash all over the place, etc. It surely didn't feel like the Caribbean. The highlight was St Kitts was that my dad found a Harley Davidson store and was able to buy a shirt. Don't waste your money. In the Bahamas, we didn't an Essential Nassau tour - again don't waste your money. Visiting a "Rum Cake Factory" really means going to a shack on the side of the street and trying a teeny sample of cake - along with the 50 other people that were there. And not sure why we need to drive around Atlantis to look at the buildings? Royal did a good job in selling this excursion. We were just the suckers who signed up for it. I would go back to the Bahamas but do a beach excursion instead as the beaches we drove by were very nice. All in all we had a wonderful family vacation. No vacation is perfect but we were able to relax, drink, eat and disconnect from the real world which is why we went. Also, the entertainment was great. I wanted to go back and see Mamma Mia again but simply didn't have the time.

Overall - Very Good

Allure of the Seas Cruise Review by kmalo713