• Cheers to 25 years: Celebrate with Us!
  • Find a Cruise
  • Deals
  • Excursions

Empress of the Seas Review

Editor Rating
13 Awards

Despite some notable issues, we had a splendid time

Review for Empress of the Seas to Cuba
blissfulcashew
First Time Cruiser • Age 30s

Sail Date: May 2019
Cabin: Ocean View Stateroom

This was my first cruise. It was truly a wonderful experience and one that I would definitely do again! We chose this cruise for the two Cuban ports but also for the two sea days for relaxation. Cuba was quite the experience- a very interesting, very HOT place. We learned a ton and are so grateful for the experience! I guess the Empress is a small ship but it felt plenty big to me as a new cruiser. I will first mention the best parts of the ship. The pool, I thought, was incredible. We never had a problem finding a place in the pool. It was clean and deep and quite lovely. We also never had a problem finding a place in the hot tubs in the evenings. Because the Empress is a small ship we were able to feel rocking when the wind and waves picked up but that was a very pleasant feeling for us- maybe not for others! The food in the MDR was SO GOOD. The service was ok- we had to ask for things (more than once on several occassions) but it was clear they were trying very hard. Our cabin steward, Kevin, on the other hand- was truly wonderful. He made sure there was ice in the cabin every evening for my mom to ice her injured knee. He was so friendly and really did a great job making us feel special.

Ok, so now for the "not so great, but certainly didn't ruin our experience" parts.

The stench of sewage in the middle of the ship on decks 5 and 6 was bad. Really bad. Like, made me want to lose my lunch bad. So we did our best to stay away from the middle of the ship on those decks. Also, my white swimsuit was stained yellow from the water in the pool and hot tubs. I haven't had a chance to really work on getting it white again but that's kind of disappointing.

Ocean View Stateroom

Cabin 2N

Cabin was small, yes but the view was great. The beds were comfortable and there was plenty of closet space. Suitcases fit nicely under the beds.

Port Reviews

Cienfuegos

Very cool port! We took the Jagua Fortress tour and it was very informative- we were never bored. Unfortunately we almost died from heat exhaustion. The only place you will encounter AC is on the bus and you actually spend very little time on the bus.

6 Helpful Votes