3. Celebrity Edge
We saw the concept for the Edge on a Celebrity Equinox cruise in 2018. We booked the Edge given the incentives and interest in some new industry innovations. Traveled with my wife and son over Spring Break. Overall -- it's a beautiful ship and mostly like the concepts. We found really great spots (inside and outside) to hang. It's a very manageable ship with different venues. We checked-in and loaded the App a couple weeks before the cruise. Embarkation was quick and organized. It's an easy innovation to allow people to board and drop luggage in there cabin. It worked well and reduced dragging stuff around before the cabin was ready. Actually -- the cabin was mostly ready when we boarded. The only problem we had on embarkation day was getting the app set-up for our 12 year old son. The primary goal was to stay in contact with him. Oddly -- they required passengers to be 13 to load the App. We tried several work arounds that didn't work. It caused a little stress on the first day. The Celebrity Edge has some beautiful places and spaces. We loved the rooftop garden. They showed movies and had live entertainment there. The main showroom in the round was a great place to see shows. It seems like they were missing one of the larger shows. The entertainment and comedians were good. The Club is a cool place -- they did a acrobatic show in there. It's also a good dancing environment at night. Eden is an interesting space and good to hang for a drink. They probably have an opportunity to leverage a little differently. Overall -- it was the most live music we've had on any ship. From the pool, rooftop, club, lobby, etc. And there was good variety. I also wanted to "shout-out" the guest speaker series on Celebrity. We had Jim Kennedy on our Celebrity Edge sailing. He is the former Director, NASA Kennedy Space Center. He was outstanding and inspiring. He gave three different presentations to big crowds interested in hearing about past NASA program and future space/science plans. He delivered these extremely well. Dining/Bars -- The food quality was good and consistent with previous Celebrity cruises. It's well above average for this tier of cruise lines. We were in the Tuscan for early sitting. Service was great. Loved having a Sommelier which many cruise lines have eliminated. We liked the new concept of having four main and smaller dining rooms. It worked well. We tried two others and service was pretty consistent. The Ocean View has to be one of the best casual dining venues we've experienced. The food was good and pretty standard for that type of dining. The Pizza was the best we've had. It's open and two story in places. There is a nice outdoor area in the back. It's not covered so can get hot like many of the outdoor bars but a great spot. We went to the Bistro for the Le Petit Chef. Its expensive but worth going once. The hologram preparation was great. Food and service was fine. Cabin with Infinite Balcony -- I saw all the debate about this concept before the cruise. It had me really worried. We ended up liking the Infinite balcony concept -- It lets in more light. It's more private. It feels more spacious. We had no issues with its operation and opened it for a balcony experience when we wanted which was several times. I understand the point about the A/C thermostat but not a big deal. We had the most outstanding Room Stewardess ever (we've been on lots of cruises). The cabin has nice design though a little narrow. Storage for 2 adults and a 12 year old was a problem. Bathroom was great. We could hear music from the club through walls, ceilings, etc until 1:30 am despite being 2-3 decks from it including deck 6 cabins. It was only a couple of nights so not sure if they reacted to our feedback. I did want to comment on the kids programs. There is not a lot of feedback on this. This was also a big worry for us. I would advise families with kids to be careful booking the Edge. You will need to make sure its the right time of year (spring break, summer, holidays, etc). The Edge seems to go out of its way to reduce its interest in that. The kids club was well run. The counselors did a nice job. They are trying some different programs -- some worked, some didn't. They had a great lazer maze set-up which everybody enjoyed. My 12 year old son had a good time but mostly because he connected with kids his age. Celebrity should really pull the kids and teens clubs out of the bottom of the ship. They almost seemed like an afterthought. Celebrity should bring back an outdoor sports court or basketball court. I don't think a modern luxury positioning means no outdoor activities. We previously went on the Equinox. I played basketball with my son and other families as an activity. I understand they are planning to do that on future Edge class ships. They need to improve the kids situation a little bit to secure a future sailing. I don't like that there is no forward observation either. Maybe put the sports court back there with outdoor viewing around the suite area. One more thing -- great ping pong table and locations. We played a good bit which hasn't been the case on previous cruises. I wanted to comment on the Magic Carpet (MC) -- thought it was a little gimmicky in concept. I really like how they have re-imagined the embarkation (exit/enter during the cruise) area of the ship and how the MC supports that. We liked the MC as a hangout place. The problem is the amount of time they limit it's availability. They need to just work on that. They need to optimize the Edge concept and the next set of ships will be great.

Great Trip on the Edge -- Hit the mark on most of the innovations

Celebrity Edge Cruise Review by SunVikings

• Sail Date: April 2019
  • Destination: Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Edge Stateroom with Infinite Veranda

They need to optimize the Edge concept and the next set of ships will be great.
SunVikings’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 10 to 12
Get Celebrity Edge price drops

Edge Stateroom with Infinite Veranda
Cabin E4
The cabin is beautiful and designed well. We liked the infinity veranda concept. It functioned well. It felt like a balcony when we had it open and liked the big window concept when it was closed. The operation was not really restricted. The cabin was a little narrow. The storage was a problem for 2 adults and a 12 year old. I had to put shoes and other things under the bed. The bathroom is really designed well. We did have one big problem 2-3 nights. We were on deck 7 forward/mid. We could hear music from the club through walls, ceilings, etc until 1:30 am despite being 2-3 decks from it including deck 6 cabins. The Cabin Stewardess was the best we've had on any cruise.
Deck 8 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins