3. Nieuw Statendam
We are a 30-40 year old couple celebrating his birthday. I love music and food. He loves computers and movies. This boat (ship) featured cooking classes, Microsoft computer application classes, a live rock band, a live blues band, a string quartet, and a dance troupe. It was a perfect fit for us. We experienced an interior cabin. Our voyage visited the western caribbean: Jamaica, Grad Cayman, Cancun, etc. It rained at the private island. We selected the anytime dining. We did not make reservations. We simply showed up at our desired time and checked in with the hostess who then had a staffer take us to a table. 10 minutes was the longest wait we experienced. We generally dine early. The pacing of the meals varied each night. After one delayed dining experience, we simply warned the future servers of our plans or asked if we would be able to make it to the 7 pm show and then we had no problems getting in and out of the dining room. The food was of high quality. Being new to the Paleo / Lectin-free diet I was concerned about my dining options. Luckily the buffet salad bar has a variety of toppings and proteins. I thoroughly enjoyed my daily salads made from a variety of my selected greens. Most of the buffet stations were staffed by servers and limited contamination by guests. I loved the daily pavlovas. The ice cream station was popular with guests. We fell in love with the daily tea parties that were offered for no additional fee. I wish a variety of teas were available. Some guests desired coffee. I enjoyed the variety of scones and toppings and sandwiches and dessert. High tea was offered twice on our 7 day cruise. That was where a variety of desserts and sandwiches were placed on our table and not served by rotating servers offering their items. Embarkation was a breeze. I have never checked in so fast. This was our first time traveling with this cruise line so we did not have any special status. We just got in line showed our passports, took out ship ID card photos and waited for our boarding groups. The process was much smoother than on other cruise lines I have sailed with multiple times. The pool area closed early at about 9 or 10 each day. Movies were shown in the pool area nightly. The nighttime food bar featured a variety of food items such as pizzas, salads, popcorn, and wings. The library was a nice area to lounge in. Books were available as well as games and puzzles. The full pane windows made the library a prime area for ocean or port viewing. The art gallery showcase a variety of photography. Nightly entertainment in the theater included a dance troupe, a comedian, and an illusionist. The ship also offered wine tasting classes and enrichment sessions about many of the ports and sailing. We took the galley tour of the kitchen for no additional cost. We did not take the chance to try any of the specialty dining. The majority of cruises were of the retirement age. Some families cruised due to the spring break timing, but there were not many kids aboard during my voyage. The ship seemed to cater to a senior crowd, which is great for relaxation.

Relaxing, educational, and refined cruising.

Nieuw Statendam Cruise Review by LushLifeAtl

• Sail Date: March 2019
  • Destination: Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Standard Interior Stateroom

LushLifeAtl’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Nieuw Statendam price drops

Standard Interior Stateroom
Cabin N
We experienced an interior cabin. The rooms were compact but comfortable. The restroom had a nice layout that gave the feeling of more space. The shower was encased in glass. There were a lot of storage options.
The televisions featured on demand programming. We were not able to get the live television programs to work when we tried them. Tons of movies were available for no additional cost. Certain items from room service were available for no additional cost.
The room featured USB plugs and standard plugs close to the bed and at the desk. Charging electronics was not an issue. I room steward was amazing. Comfortable bathrobes were provided in the room as were beach towels.
Beethoven Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins