3. Carnival Glory
This was our second cruise, the first being with Princess last year. This time we took our kids, ages 9 and 13. Because of adding them, cost wise we opted to go with Carnival. I knew going in that the experience wouldn’t be the same as with Princess, especially in regards to food, but I did think that because Carnival owns Princess, the overall service experience would be similar. Also, we have several friends that have been on Carnival cruises and had positive experiences, so we went in with an open mind. This cruise had a lot of pros and cons for me and my husband. Overall it wasn’t BAD, but it certainly wasn’t GREAT. Pros: * My kids both loved the kids club activities. Even my teenager. * The shows we did go see were actually really good. Especially the epic rock performance. * Our room was actually very nice. Beds were extremely comfortable, and we had a decent amount of space for 4 people in one room. * The movie selections for movies under the stars were fairly decent. We saw Aquaman, Venom, and Wreck It Ralph 2, all of which we hadn’t seen yet. *Disembarkation and Embarkment actually went extremely smoothly. Though we had to go on a bit of a search for disembarkment info (the televised info kept glitching and restarting and we never received a flyer with the info). We chose to carry our luggage off ourselves and we were off the boat, through customs, and in our car by 8:45. Cons: * We were extremely underwhelmed with the main dining room food. I had a bowl of penne pasta that was so al dente that some of it crunched. My husband had an appetizer that was supposed to be “beef skewers served with fresh island pineapple”, that ended up just being two small pieces of beef jerky chunk meat on some kind of quickly tossed cabbage with no skewers or pineapple. Extremely unappetizing to look at. That’s just a couple of examples. We ultimately ended up not bothering to go back to the main dining room, because we could get the same underwhelming food on the buffet and not have to deal with the scheduling headache. *The entertainment schedule. We had the late 8:15 dining option. However, the schedule is built that main activities such as shows are at 7:30 or 9. Neither of which worked if you wanted to eat in your dining room. Had I known about the entertainment schedule, I probably would have chose the anytime dining. But we really liked having an assigned dining time and servers on our last cruise. It allowed us to get to know people. Additionally, there just didn’t seem like there was a lot of options of things to do that aren’t thinly veiled sales pitches. And yes, I know that’s a cruise ship thing, but this one felt like it was a solid 75% of the “entertainment”. There would be huge blocks of time on most sea days where you just didn’t have anything to do if you didn’t want to get a cold sale. The art gallery on Glory is stored in the White Heat nightclub that I guess they don’t use anymore, and a small tucked away room hidden in the entrance of the golden dining room. So you couldn’t even easily walk around and just look at the art if you were bored. * The food option schedule- the closing times on the food choices made no sense at all to me. The taco place and the bbq place close at 2:30 on sea days and 3:30 on port days. Guy’s Burgers closes at 6. I didn’t understand why these would be closed during dinner time at all, and I certainly don’t understand why some would close on sea days when everyone is on the ship and lines are longer at all food places. * State of the ship- my husband is a mariner, so we understand how hard it is to upkeep a ship, particularly one that is constantly exposed to salt water. However, the amount of rust all over the ship was pretty sad. Additionally, they seem to be dealing with some significant water issues. The 12th deck by the kids club had fans running on the carpet for almost the entire cruise, and the smell of mildew was extremely strong. On the second day of the cruise we were walking on the 4th deck and water was gushing out of a closet where they keep equipment. We notified staff and they were still working on it the next day when we went into port. On more than one occasion you’d hear gurgling sounds in the walls that were NOT the normal cruise sounds of flushing toilets or a shower running in a nearby state room. There were a few different times and spots where you’d see the fans blowing on wet carpet. * Service- This one might be slightly nit picky, but it was something I noticed that definitely effected my enjoyment. The service on this cruise was nowhere near the service I got on Princess. This could mostly be explained by ratio, I think princess operates at closer to a 2:1 ratio where Carnival is closer to 3:1. However, at one point I asked a dining room server where I could get a soda and she instructed me I needed to go to the bar and get it myself. The bars are the only places to get a soda, which I didn’t love. I didn’t like having to wait in multiple lines to eat and get a drink, and I wasn’t a huge fan of my kids having to go sit at the bar to order their own sodas. I don’t understand why they can have the self serve beer stations but not have self serve soda machines with similar card swipe situations. Hopefully this all made sense and you guys understand I’m not trying to sway anyone for or against Carnival. This is just what my family noticed. I think there’s a perfect fit for every kind of vacationer. We aren’t sit by the pool and drink people, and like to have a full list of options to do.

An overall OK cruise

Carnival Glory Cruise Review by jdwhawkins

Pros:

* My kids both loved the kids club activities. Even my teenager.

Cons:

jdwhawkins’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 7 to 9
Ages 13 to 15
Get Carnival Glory price drops

Balcony
Cabin 8D 8285
Comfortable beds, great view from balcony, overall nice room.
Lido Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins