3. Norwegian Breakaway
I booked this last-minute cruise as a way to disconnect and have fun. Overall, it was a successful trip! The cruise staff was pleasant and worked hard to correct any issues brought to their attention. As a solo cruiser, I particularly appreciate the "freestyle cruising" concept because it allows me the flexibility to meet new people if I wish, or to find a quiet spot on the ship to read and relax. The solo cruisers on this trip spanned many age groups, and it seemed everyone found plenty to do! The ship was nice; you can tell it was dry-docked last year because the common areas aren't showing any extensive wear-and-tear yet. That said, the theater was a bit smaller than I experienced on Escape (it spans two decks on the Escape), so it was a bit more difficult to get reservations or my first choice of seating location. The pool area can become quite crowded on sea days because a significant amount of upper-deck space is dedicated to paid areas (Haven, Vibe sundecks). That said, there's plenty of comfortable, shaded seating along the mid-deck "Waterfront" area for those looking to lounge outside without direct sun. Overall, the food was good. We especially enjoyed having early dinner in The Manhattan on sea days because the Burn the Floor dancers would put on a brief but incredible show (check the Freestyle Daily, but it was around 6p each night it happened for us). Service was slow when we have a large group (over 2 hours whenever we had more than six people dining together) but the food was usually hot and well-seasoned when we received it. Make sure to try out the Shanghai Noodle Bar -- it's reservation-only but also complimentary, and the food was very good and made to order! The entertainment was top-notch. Rock of Ages, Burn the Floor, Syd Norman's, Howl at the Moon -- all are not to be missed! I had a bit of a snafu at Wine Lovers: The Musical, but had a fantastic experience at Velvet. This new show was installing in the Speigel Tent during our sailing, so we only saw it on our last day. If I had the opportunity, I would see it again! The whole entertainment staff was engaging and entertaining. I initially had some issues with cabin cleanliness, which were quickly corrected, and with getting ahold of crew members on the phone. Specifically, I waited over 30 minutes to speak with someone on the Dining Reservations line before hanging up. I also heard there were issues with the wifi package onboard, but I didn't purchase the wifi so I didn't experience this directly. One other random note: know that the soda package onboard most of the NCL fleet includes a commemorative soda tumbler, but for some reason the Breakaway is the exception and does not provide this. It was a bit of a disappointment to learn this once onboard.

Plenty of ways to stay entertained!

Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by hbmfl

• Sail Date: May 2019
  • Destination: Eastern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Family Inside Stateroom

hbmfl’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Breakaway price drops

Family Inside Stateroom
Cabin I1 9451
This cabin is toward the bow, to the fore of the forward stairs, along the midline of the ship. It has two lower beds, which can be combined into one larger bed, and two upper berths which can be stowed. I think this room would be very tight for four passengers, especially because it doesn't have much shelving or drawers for storage, but would be very comfortable for two or three people. Before stowing your luggage under the beds, double-check to make sure it's been thoroughly vacuumed.
Deck 13 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Miami
    Embarkation in Miami was smooth. My shoreside agent was training, so it was not the fastest interaction, but once he completed my checkin I walked onboard the ship without any wait time.
    View All 2,402 Miami Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Miami Cruise Port Review
  • Nassau
    We printed a walking tour from Frommers, and added a final stop at the John Watling Distillery. The distillery was more pricy than we expected but it was a great walking tour near the port!
    View All 12,961 Nassau Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Nassau Cruise Port Review
  • Paradise Point Skyride
    The skyride ticket appeared to be the same price onboard as at the box office onsite. It's a tradition for us to go to the top, have a Bushwhacker or two, and take pictures of the ship below. Always relaxing and enjoyable. The stores were open this time, and the hand-painted crafts were reasonably priced and great souvenirs.
    View All 96 Paradise Point Skyride Reviews
  • Tortola
    Tortola has an official BVI information booth along the pier; I checked with them and they suggested Long Bay Beach for a less-crowded beach experience. It was great! The taxi is $12 per person each way, but DO NOT pay for your round-trip. There are several taxi vendors who will take you back to the port for the same price, so only pay one-way to keep your flexibility. Once at the beach, there is a small selection of bars and souvenir vendors under pop-up canopies. They also have lounge chairs ($10/ea) and beach umbrellas ($5/ea) already set up. Overall, it was a very relaxing beach!
    View All 12,961 Tortola Cruise Port Reviews