3. Celebrity Silhouette
Well Eclipse and Silhouette are the same class of ship, have the same cruise director Sue when I have travelled on them, I have had the same cabin on both and having sailed the 8 day Fjords on Eclipse and now the 7 day Fjords on Silhouette can directly compare like for like. So lets start at the beginning at check in, Eclipse was a breeze within a few minutes I was through security and on the ship, Silhouette waiting in lines for security going backwards and forwards along the ropes, check in I did get pushed up as I now have a captains club status however then had to sit and wait in the lounge for more time than the whole check in time on Eclipse. (same arrival time for both ships) Room. I have had the same room on both ships both looked the same and were in good condition except on Silhouette the basin had a big chip in it not a major problem. On Eclipse I had a nice blue celebrity bag a pen etc etc on Silhouette nothing. Room stewards on both ships were 5 star. So exploring the ship they are mainly the same but things are missing on Silhouette. Passport bar no screens for me to watch Formula 1 on the Sunday, most nights casino bar was crammed with people trying to watch football on the small screens behind the bar!, no fridges of speciality drinks and no food service in passport bar, ocean view cafe no bar on outer deck just a make shift pile of drinks, pool deck no fountains, lawn club almost non existent as covered in empty cabanas, who wants to sit in an expensive cabana in the cold of Norway, Iceland or Russia where the ship normally sails, or an open air restaurant, no hot glass show thats one of my favourite things plus a few other little things around the ship that on there own are not much but added together makes a big difference between the ships. Crew and service, the big difference between Celebrity and other lines to me is the wonderful happy friendly helpful crew. On Silhouette it looked like they had all just been told they were fired at the end of the week, service was poor not very friendly and a couldn't care less attitude by many but not all, some bar staff couldn't understand English even when ordering a simple coke and I couldn't understand them. However things got better as the week progressed, perhaps it was 2 things, 1 they were understaffed, 2 everyone had a drinks package or was elite and its the nearest thing to a booze cruise I have seen, theatre was very empty most nights as people just stayed in the bars. Entertainment, Eclipse was stunning, fantastic production shows, great beyond the podium talks, great music around the ship etc etc in fact I watched all the production shows twice, going back and standing at the back of the theatre and even now watch topper, chandelier etc on youtube, Silhouette. cosmopolitan and life shows, no story line at all just random dances and songs thrown together for no reason? Was tempted to walk out and just watch the house bands but kept thinking it will get better but it didn't. Pearl was thankfully much better with some good effects and a decent story line. Ancora was the only guest act that was 5 star. Beyond the podium speakers on Eclipse were great, didn't have any on Silhouette? Cooking demonstrations by the chefs in Celebrity central none on Silhouette, no ice carvings on Silhouette, no fruit carvings etc on Silhouette just shopping. Music and entertainment in daytime on sea days on Eclipse great, loved every sea day even on the transatlantic, no music in daytime on Silhouette till 5 p.m just a quiz each day counted about 30 to 40 people each day out of about 2800 passengers at the quiz, in fact port days and sea days entertainment are basically the same? Sea day today entertainment is a sale in the shops, an art auction, a talk on navigation in celebrity central I have seen 3 times and a talk on booking a cruise on Edge at 1 p.m. Nothing to do but write this and pack the case till about 5 p.m. when the music starts, so bored and hungry as been to ocean view cant get a table as people are sat reading books etc, no problem only wanted a pastry and a drink so headed to cafe al bacio on deck 5 and its full of people sat reading books etc again so cant get a seat, dont want to eat in my room(inside cabin as I pay for 2 drinks packages for 1 person if I have anything above this, already expensive as a solo paying for 2) so just headed to passport bar and had a coke for breakfast, how can this be 5 star? Never been to a 5 star hotel where i cant get a table. Shows that there is nothing to do on board to drag them out of the cafe etc and its too cold outside, only thing for people to do is read and drink and eat, things will only get worse if the library and card room go as rumoured as the people from there will move to cafe al bacio and ocean view as well. Music in Cafe al bacio is pointless as the people who sit there all day just talk loudly and drown the string duo out in the evening. Ensemble lounge one of my favourites 1 group of about 6 would sit there all night just in front of the performer and shout above the music, listening to the details of his vasectomy is not something I think the room needs to hear! We would much rather listen to the quality music he is drowning out. Food, great food and service on Eclipse with a fantastic selection, dinning room had a 2 page menu each evening and was fantastic quality, buffet was amazing, I regularly had a steak cooked to order in the buffet with some chips or had some nice roast beef Yorkshire pudding roast potatoes and horseradish. in the morning I had a cooked to order omelette and always had a nice glass of fresh orange juice. On Silhouette never saw a cook to order steak or fish in buffet, didn't see an omelette station, no roast potatoes only some greasy herb covered things they called roast potatoes no Yorkshire and no chips at lunch time? Very rarely got my orange juice as no service just a line at the bar. Dinning room a 1 page menu, I dont eat fish or seafood so by the time you exclude these off the menu very very little selection my waiter who was great felt so sorry for me he brought me a huge bowl of chips one night, so part the way through the week I just used ocean view cafe, at least in the evening you could get a seat in there and had a better selection. On entering ocean view on Silhouette the hand gel was empty it took 5 goes to get enough to clean my hands so I walked up to the guy in the suit and gold tie who was always busy doing nothing in charge and reported it he looked totally disinterested never replied to me and just wandered off answering his phone, on leaving ocean view i tried the gel machine and it was still empty! A good 20 mins later! Food hygiene seems low priority, having seen many not washing there hands in the bathroom its just time before norovirus breaks out. Shopping, some great shops were on eclipse and I always got tempted to spend money on impulse buys, one thing I always bought was some Ralph Lauren smelly as duty free it makes sense, on Silhouette I bought nothing, I didnt need a faberge egg, I dont want a hand bag or expensive ring or necklace and the watches are cheaper in the uk even paying the duty at my local jewellers I checked. I did go to get my Ralph Lauren as normal only to be told that the 2 types I have bought on Eclipse are too upmarket to be sold onboard! I am sorry but I just walked past Cartier, Faberge, Rolex etc? Yet they only carry the cheaper Ralph Lauren? Also why everyday do we have a car boot sale in the walkway outside the shops of Russian souvenirs? Russian hats, dolls, russian xmas ornaments in spring! did nobody notice we were in Norway not Russia! Not one Norwegian souvenier in sight, Celebrity has lost the plot Great to see the paper straws on Silhouette replacing the plastic and they are not too bad, however a long way to go in the Eco department as the shops give you a plastic bag, and each night you get your planner loads of junk mail from the shops and art gallery falls out, chances are that if I didn't want a handbag, spar day or oil painting on day 1 sending me junk mail every day will not change my mind! On Silhouette I have now got to Select level so qualify for some sort of officers party, great. On top of my daily planner one night was a letter saying that due to the high number of guests that are of this level or above the party is cancelled due to lack of room. Could they not have more than 1 party? The thing that got me was that as compensation they were giving me 3 free drinks! I and nearly everyone on here has a drinks package, you cant not if you go oceanview or above (UK booking rules) and even me in an inside cabin has bought a premium drinks package so I took this as a very lazy insult. Next morning I took the vouchers to the Captains club host arriving at 10.05 but she was late for work, probably stuck in roadworks in between home and the ship, returned about an hour later to see it was the lady who forgot here safety equipment at muster drill and had to go back for it giving you confidence in an emergency and explains why muster drill took about 45 mins, i waited while she served a guest then she wandered off to chat to her friend so I gave up and returned the vouchers to guest services. Itinerary on both cruises is almost identical except we didn't go to Flam on Silhouette as its a 1 day shorter cruise so you would think everything would be the same? No The highlight for me and probably many more is the sail into Geiranger it is amazing, On Eclipse I spent hours watching the cliffs getting closer waiting to see the seven sisters then hearing the cannon as we entered Geiranger itself before spinning the ship and watching the seawalk come out, on Silhouette we docked in Geiranger at 5 a.m. in the dark! Yes we did see the scenery on the way out but once you pass the 7 sisters and the fjord widens its just not the same as sailing in. So 2 ships almost the same on almost the same cruise with the same cruise director, in my reviews on cruise critic etc I gave Eclipse 4.5 out of 5 Silhouette i will go 2.5 Heard many other complaints while around the ship such as no cot for baby booked on board despite phoning Celebrity day before to make sure they had organised it from the original booking, plus 1 couple had a dirty cabin and reported it to guest relations and while his wife was changing the steward just walked in without knocking! Not sure if the difference between the 2 cruises is the ship or Celebrity cut backs. Hopefully its just the ship because otherwise my next cruise will be my last on Celebrity. Many UK passengers were on Celebrity for the first time from Royal, Cunard and P&O and say they will not be sailing Celebrity again and thats a shame as I know that Celebrity can be so good but unfortunately not this week. So in summary. 5 star modern luxury? On Eclipse yes 5 star Silhouette 2 star its not living up to its potential (2 stars is given for room steward, waiter and a few bar staff that were the usual special wonderful Celebrity crew). I have recommended Eclipse to Family and friends and all have had a great cruise, I will not be recommending Silhouette quite the opposite. One thing I will say is Silhouette is the first Celebrity ship I have been on that has had a solo get together. However its in passport bar at 8 p.m. a time when the music is playing in the foyer and the bar is so busy its standing room only so not got a clue if anyone else is solo on here or if they were at the meeting so a good try but a total failure, Celebrity need to start doing things for the solo cruiser as they will soon have 5 new ships with solo cabins. My suggestion would be a coffee morning or something somewhere quieter. My review is written from a solo travellers point of view, something that is totally different to what most of you may experience on board, for instance in ocean view you leave one person holding a table while you get your food then swap over, as a solo I have to get my food then hope I can get a table or wander around for ages to get one only to have cold food! A thing a solo traveller hates is to finally find a seat at a table only to hear a couple moan oh look there is one person sat at a table for 4! Well its probably the only table I can get and you are very welcome to join me. Entertainment on board is a big thing for me and other solo travellers. Give me live music and a coke I am happy, watch something like the egg drop, dancing with the officers is the funniest thing i have ever seen, a good beyond the podium speaker, officers versus crew volley ball etc etc. All the things that Celebrity dont have on this cruise and seem to be doing away with for shopping all day, sorry but i would rather spend my money on another cruise than some painting or a watch. I have a cruise booked on Edge and Apex, I will go on Edge as it will cost me too much to cancel in airfare etc etc but unless its better than this cruise it will be my last Celebrity cruise as will cancel apex and find a cruise line that will keep me entertained rather than just trying to get me to spend money in the shops and car boot sale type sales in the walkways. Cant imagine the Hilton, Savoy, Fairmont or Panpacific having a car boot sale in the foyer and keeping there 5 star status yet it seems ok at sea? I have seen people returning handbags today that were bought early in the cruise on table sales with broken straps already! I have been a Big Celebrity cruise fan and recommend it to many people as have had some fantastic cruises with them, I hate moaning about it and would rather be enjoying a cruise and be in future cruise booking another, than sat bored writing this. Written from the point of view of a Solo non drinking Celebrity Cruise fan on the last day of the cruise, you may have a different view but this was my experience and my opinion.

Eclipse v Silhouette

Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Review by Alaska_addict

• Sail Date: April 2019
  • Destination: Baltic Sea
  • Cabin Type: Inside Stateroom

Room.

On Eclipse I had a nice blue celebrity bag a pen etc etc on Silhouette nothing.

Room stewards on both ships were 5 star.

Ancora was the only guest act that was 5 star.

Silhouette i will go 2.5

So in summary.

5 star modern luxury?

On Eclipse yes 5 star

Entertainment on board is a big thing for me and other solo travellers.

Alaska_addict’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Silhouette price drops

Inside Stateroom
Cabin 12 9156
Cabin was ok except large chip in wash basin.
Plaza Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins