3. Golden Princess
DH & I chose this sailing to celebrate our 15th anniversary. It was the only ship departing from Vancouver that day so embarkation was a breeze. We received an email to board at 1pm but we decided to ignore that & arrived shortly after 11am & were onboard by 12pm. Lunch was available in the Donatello dining room 12-1:30pm. Guest Safety Assembly is at 3:45pm Klondike Sailaway Party at 4:30pm. Mckinley Moose & Stanley Bear will be there to take pictures with you. This is Princess' 50th anniversary in Alaska so for their trivia games, they are giving away "Life-Changing prizes": a drawstring bag of Princess logo items. ( I don't know what they were as I didn't win any). Be sure to attend the Captain's Circle event as you will receive a beverage voucher (up to $15 value) which you can also use in the International cafe. There are 3 Production Shows: Born to Dance, Let me Entertain You & British Invasion. The use of multimedia in Born to Dance & British Invasion really enhanced the show. British Invasion was my favorite. If you're on 1st seating, you need to get to the theatre at least 30 minutes prior to the show if you want good seats because 1st seating/Anytime Dining starts at 5 pm. Puppies in the PIazza: meet sled dog puppies. Midnight Sun Event - Experience an Northern Sunset with blankets, cookies, hot chocolate & the songs of Alaska with Frostie. I tried to attend this but it was way too windy (in the Sanctuary). Every morning from 6 am to 12 noon, you can watch the Wake Show with the Cruise Director on Channel 21. Answer the daily question & you could be picked to win a prize. Answer forms are outside the library on deck 5. On the back of the form, you can also indicate if you're having a celebration. If you notified Princess ahead of time that you're having a birthday/anniversary, they will present a voucher for a small rectangular chocolate mousse cake at your dinner table. Crown Grill is worth the $29.00 cover charge. It includes 1 appetizer, 1 main, & 1 dessert. They also have seafood. Chocolate Journeys - by chocolatier Norman Love. These are available in the International Cafe, Horizon Court, and in the dining room. Each venue will feature a different dessert & at different times of the day. If you have a balcony, that's the best place to enjoy the glaciers. You don't have to fight for a spot at the railing. It's very cold & windy on deck. The partitions on your balcony will protect you from the wind and the Captain will rotate the ship so everyone will have an opportunity for that perfect pic. But remember to enjoy the glaciers with your eyes not just through the lens, otherwise you might miss the ice calving. You will usually hear a rumble like thunder before the calving. The last sea day of the cruise has so many activities, there's hardly any time to pack. Don't bother with the galley tour. There's no one explaining anything, no samples, & nothing interesting to see. British-style pub lunch is 12-1:30 pm in the Crown Grill. Lunch is free. Beverages are additional. Disembarkation Day: Express Walk Off 7:45am, 7:50 am 7:55 am Last group off the ship by 10 am. You must vacate your stateroom by 8am. Breakfast in the dining room starts at 6:30am Breakfast in the Horizon Court starts at 5:30am * We didn't see the Disembarkation form on our door on the morning of the last sea day. But I saw one on my neighbour's door, so I looked at theirs & saw the times for Express Walk Off. DH went to the Front Desk & got the last pass for Express Walk Off at 7:45am. I love how Princess has Destination Immersion experiences onboard their ships. You don't need to get off the ship to experience the culture of the destination. So be sure to participate in the North to Alaska/Klondike activities. One night was the Captain's Gala dinner. Lots of steak & seafood options including Red Alaska King Crab Legs. We had sunny weather in Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan. It was cold & very windy in Skagway & Ketchikan. In Juneau, there is a free shuttle to Fred Meyer & Costco. In Skagway, we took the roundtrip White Pass & Yukon Route. Don't worry about which side to sit on because you will be looking at the other side on the return journey. Free bottled water is available onboard. In Ketchikan, there is a free shuttle to Walmart every 15 minutes. We were on Anytime Dining but on our 1st night, I liked our waiter Mario so much, I requested to sit in his section every night. Also, if you have allergies or a special diet (Low Salt for me), let your waiter know. He'll send over the HeadWaiter who will show you the next day's menus so you can pre-order your meals. There are a limited number of tables for 2 & they are set very close to other tables. If you don't want to share a table, there may be a bit of a wait (unless you go right when the dining room opens). I found the pillows in the stateroom much too soft. They were more like body pillows but the duvet was nice & warm. In addition to Movies Under the Stars, they also show movies on your stateroom tv. We enjoyed our cruise & are looking forward to Japan in 2022.

May 7-14, 2019 Voyage of the Glaciers roundtrip Vancouver

Golden Princess Cruise Review by April29

• Sail Date: May 2019
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Premium Balcony
DH & I chose this sailing to celebrate our 15th anniversary.

Lunch was available in the Donatello dining room 12-1:30pm.

Guest Safety Assembly is at 3:45pm

British Invasion was my favorite.

Puppies in the PIazza: meet sled dog puppies.

Disembarkation Day:

Express Walk Off 7:45am, 7:50 am 7:55 am

Last group off the ship by 10 am.

You must vacate your stateroom by 8am.

Breakfast in the dining room starts at 6:30am

Breakfast in the Horizon Court starts at 5:30am

So be sure to participate in the North to Alaska/Klondike activities.

In Juneau, there is a free shuttle to Fred Meyer & Costco.

Free bottled water is available onboard.

In Ketchikan, there is a free shuttle to Walmart every 15 minutes.

We enjoyed our cruise & are looking forward to Japan in 2022.
April29’s Full Rating Summary
Get Golden Princess price drops

Premium Balcony
Cabin B2 C505
This cabin was on Caribe Deck 10, starboard mid-aft just around the corner from the stairs & elevator. So convenient. There was quite a bit of creaking if it was very windy.
Caribe Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins