3. Carnival Horizon
My wife and I booked this cruise with my brother and his wife. We were looking forward to travelling on the newest ship in the Carnival fleet. Embarkation in Miami went smoothly and we were in our cabins in a timely manner. Overall service provided by our room steward was very good. The cabin was clean and comfortable. Our dining experiences onboard were really hit or miss. We had a couple of good meals in the dining room and more that were very mediocre. The food portions were small and service was very slow. We had to wait long periods of time between courses and to get drinks. One night we were giving our drink orders for dinner and my wife requested coffee. The waiter said " I'll get it later" We told him no she wants it now. Then he complained about having to make a pot of coffee. Unbelievable. At the end of the last formal dinner, the hostesses at the front of the dining room were shouting about the great food and service and asking everyone to rate them a 10. One woman said it was more like a 5. (Which it was) They chased her down the stairs to talk to her. Haha. This seemed to be a theme on this ship. We ate at the buffet a number of times and we had trouble finding a place to sit because there were dirty dishes that hadn't been cleared at the empty tables. In their defense, this problem seemed to lessen after the first 3-4 days. Not sure if they picked up additional crew members or what. The buffet food was ok. Nothing great. We also tried an Italian restaurant for lunch which was free. The food was mediocre with slow service. They delivered 3 of our 4 meals but not mine. I finally shared with others while they spent 20 minutes getting my lasagna. The lasagna was awful. It had bbq pork inside of it. Literally bbq sauce. Gross. Our favorite food on the ship were the Guy Fieri restaurants. Burgers, BBQ, and the mexican food. We enjoyed those. The entertainment on the ship was good. The shows were good. The bands around the ship were good. We had fun. You will also have fun with the new fangled elevators on the ship. No buttons inside so make sure you choose the correct floor before boarding. No big deal but not sure these were any faster than normal elevators. The shore excursions were fine. We enjoyed Grand Turk. We loved Curacao and Aruba. None of us cared for La Romana however. Seemed kind of sketchy with a police escort on our tour through town. We would have preferred to skip that stop and do an overnight in Curacao or Aruba so that we could spend more time there.. Debarkation was a mess. I think this may be a Miami port problem but it took forever to get off of the ship. Carnival arranged our transportation to the airport and the driver dropped us off at the wrong terminal. Spent awhile trying to get to the correct terminal to catch our flight but we made it. After all of that, we still managed to have a lot of fun but this cruise was the worst of the 6 Carnival cruises we have taken. Hopefully they can improve the service.

Disappointing cruise aboard the Horizon

Carnival Horizon Cruise Review by Blizmaster

Blizmaster’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Horizon price drops

Balcony
Cabin 8D
Cabin was clean and comfortable.
Deck 9 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins