3. Norwegian Bliss
So this was my second cruise and my mom’s third or fourth and we went to ALASKA! I went on this cruise with my mother (mid 50’s), my much younger sister’s (14-16), and myself (31) on the Norwegian Bliss MAY 05-12. We got a mini suite balcony cabin mid ship on deck 13 for all of us; it had a couch that turned into a bed and a pull down from the ceiling for the girls and my mom and I got the twin beds next to the balcony. I was honestly expecting it to be smaller, but it had more than enough room for all our stuff and we put the luggage under the bed which gave us plenty of room. This ship is HUGE but it all flows together very well and it’s beautiful so you don’t mind walking along the public areas. The last ship I was on was Royal Caribbean and it was really nice but this ship is just amazing. Everyone that works on this ship was nice and active they were always moving and working. Our room steward was a rock star who kept our room clean and put up the beds every day during the day and back down at night. Our favorite bar at h2o had the best bar tenders and waiters who knew our names by the second day and would stop for a quick chat as they worked. My mom and I are chatters and we talk to everyone, staff and other guests alike. We spent about an hour in the observation deck around ten thirty the second day as they were pulling breakfast and setting out snacks before lunch and these people were moving and getting things done. We were just watching and one man was organizing everyone else and we happened to start talking to him and telling him how awesome everyone was and how hard they worked. We chatted for ten to fifteen minutes and he gave us some recommendations for our next port and we parted ways. That night we get back to the room and we have a huge sugar tower with a dessert tasting plate ( macaroons, chocolate covered strawberries, and gourmet chocolates). It turns out we had been talking to the executive chef of all the buffets on the ship and he sent us this amazing gift just for having a nice chat with him. Speaking of the buffets they were delicious, the main dining rooms are elegant and the food is just so good I don’t even have words. We ate at the local too which is bar style and great for lunch or a snack, I had chicken wings and fries. The food was so good everywhere we ate that we didn’t bother trying the extra restaurants when the complimentary food was just so amazing. As far as entertainment we always enjoy playing trivia and the little things they do during the day. On the first day they had a show that had little bits of all the entertainment throughout, Havana, Jersey boys, The Beatles, and the comedians. This gave us a great sneak peek into all the ship had to offer and what we might want to see. As far as the kids they spent all of their time in the teen lounge and roamed the ship as a group with the rest of them so we hardly saw them at all during sea days (YAY!). We enjoyed the activities during the day and our overall mission was to try the drink of the day everyday as well as all the Alaskan beers. We succeeded! My mom smokes so we spent a lot of time at the back of the ship because there is only one smoking area which is on the h2o deck. The deck area was great and you could see everything from back there along the sides of the ship, plus it has a bar so I didn’t mind hanging out there. We sat on our own balcony room while we saw the glacier and it was so worth having the balcony throughout the whole cruise for us. We could sit out and watch the Alaska Tongass national forest as we passed by, we watched as we came into port in the mornings. We saw bald eagles, sea otters, whales, and seals from the balcony. We’re from Texas so I read as many reviews about clothing as I could before we left to decide what we needed to bring. Here’s my list of things that saved me from being miserable, ZIP HOODIE for the win! because you will want to take it on and off over the course of the day. Waterproof jacket and beanie, mine is a poofy jacket that is rain resistant and I had no problem staying dry and warm in Juneau where it rained all day. Scarf and gloves I only wore when I was sitting out on the balcony in the room and wandering out on deck. Warm socks and comfy shoes are for everyday because you will be walking even if you never get off the ship as it is huge. This is all early May so take that into consideration when you go if it’s full summer. Random little tip is to bring stickies and highlighters, we left notes on the door for meet times and the highlighter for the daileys so we could keep track of what we wanted to do during the day. Last thing that is an absolute must for Alaska is binoculars; we used them every single day and saw so much more than we would have been able to without them. I got mine on amazon for twenty dollars, or they sold them on the ship starting at one hundred and twenty dollars so it’s best to plan ahead. We got off the ship in all ports and had a great time everywhere we went though we didn’t do any excursions. Juneau was cold and wet but we enjoyed wandering the shops and seeing all the souvenir stores for a couple hours. In Skagway we rented a car and drove up to the Yukon (you’ll need your passports because you go into Canada) and stopped at the Carcross visitors center. We went to Caribou Crossing Trading Post next and spent time wandering the museum, feeding the animals, and petting the puppies! They had a bbq chicken lunch that was actually pretty good and homemade donuts for dessert. We drove up a few more miles and saw Emerald Lake which was just gorgeous. The whole drive was absolutely amazing and well worth the rental car since we didn’t want to spend the whole day on the train or a bus, but we did want to see the Yukon. Ketchikan was another relaxed day wandering the souvenir shops, one little tip is Ketchikan has the same stuff as the other towns but they were a bit cheaper. Embarkation was very easy as we got a shuttle from the hotel and they dropped us off right at bag drop, spent ten minutes getting through check in and sat for about twenty minutes before we were let on the ship. Debarkation was a little rougher, we took our luggage off the ship ourselves and it took a good hour to get off the ship and through customs but it wasn’t too bad as they kept us moving in a long line throughout. Overall Alaska is a popular bucket list item for a very good reason. We could have gone to Alaska a dozen different ways but the Bliss made the whole experience that much better. You just have to remember if you want to have an amazing time you will, things always go sideways when you travel just try to relax and enjoy the ride.

ALASKA!

Ages 16+
Get Norwegian Bliss price drops

Mid-ship Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin MA 13826
Fantastic for four who all had different beds, used the couch and the pulldown as well as the twin beds. Plenty of room for two teens, a thirty something, and a fifty something.
Deck 15 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins