Carnival Magic Cruise Review

Absolute Nightmare

Carnival Magic Cruise Review by Loriawojo

• Sail Date: May 2019
  • Destination: the Eastern Caribbean

I went on this cruise with 4 other friends. This was my first cruise but some of the others I traveled with have been on many cruises but after seeing what I endured this will be their last with Carnival.

I am handicapped from the waist down & utilize an electric wheelchair to get around. We rented a handicapped suite which had plenty of room but we also had to pay extra for the suite to fit my wheelchair. I didn’t mind.

Never at any time was I told or warned that there were decks of the ship that I wouldn’t be able to access. Not even in an e-mail. When on board some of friends went to deck 12 and I was trying to get to them. I spent over 2hrs going from 1 location to another, at the direction of crew members to get on the deck. There was a screen on the deck & supposedly I could get there behind this screen. Nope! 2 hrs I spent I felt like an idiot & degraded. I ended up back in my room crying. I also couldn’t get on the adult deck only, deck 11. Nor could I go into the Spa, which would have been great for my medical issues & not just for vanity reasons.

Then there’s their private island, Amber Cove. Wheelchairs aren’t allowed on tenders despite them being large boats. This was the only thing I was aware of & that was because of my friend that I was traveling with. One would think with Carnival owning their own private island & they could make it handicapped accessible & perhaps put up umbrellas for quests to have some shade. Instead they gladly screw over their quests by making them pay extra for drinks instead of it tying into their drink package on the ship. They both belong to Carnival after all.

Then there’s the dreaded elevators. There were instances were I couldn’t even get on them due to overcrowding & attempted for over 45min only to just go back to my room. Another time 6 tries before someone helped me because the doors closed to fast for me to get to them fast enough before they closed. This was just to name a few. It got to the point that any time I had to go them my anxiety went through the roof. My friends were shocked at how difficult it was for us to get an elevator with me. It was degrading, humiliating & embarrassing.

I skipped dinner 3 nights because I just didn’t have the energy to fight with the elevators anymore on those days. I was done. Instead I stayed in my room & just cried.

I also wasn’t made aware I wouldn’t be able to access any of the pools or hot tubs. How would you feel about going on vacation & find out 1/2 of the stuff available wasn’t available to you? You had to sit back & watch others having fun! That’s not my idea of a vacation. Had I known all this I wouldn’t have booked my trip.

Then to top off my trip on the final night of my trip I utilized my walker to drag myself out onto my balcony to take pictures of the sunset. While taking pictures I felt an weird sensation in my right foot & looked down & there was a dirty, salt covered, rusty razor blade sticking out of my foot. I got myself back inside & sat down & while I was trying to pull it out of my foot I cut my left thumb. I immediately tried to call medical & got no answer. I got my steward & told him & showed him where it happened. Showed him the razor blade. I also reminded him we received a note the day or 2 prior that the crew were going to be cleaning all the balconies. That maybe someone dropped it while cleaning & the wind could have caught it then lodged it in my foot. He went to his supervisor to tell him & I tried to call medical again & got no answer again. When my steward came back he said “ There is no Dr on duty but you could go try to find the nurse.” I told him “ I have a rare immune disease that a lot of Dr’s don’t understand & no offense to nurses but if Dr’s don’t understand it a nurse certainly won’t & a nurse can’t dispense medication & if I need a tetanus shot & antibiotics she can’t administer them. I need a Dr. I guess I’m on my own. His response was “There is nothing we can do.” Then he left. I wiped down my wounds with antibacterial wipes & wrapped them in tight bandages to hopefully close them I had with me for emergencies. When I got home I ended up having to have both a tetanus shot & go on antibiotics.

I wrote Carnival to tell them my experiences & they blatantly lied to me saying they sent me all this information in an e-mail on 2/20/18 & told me this verbally. I saved all my correspondence from Carnival. The e-mail from 2/20/18 was to join their VIPC club. I also was never told how hard it would be to get around the ship, that I couldn’t go into the pools, the spa, the hot tubs etc... The only I was made aware of was that I couldn’t go to their private island because I couldn’t go on the tenders but when I saw the size of them I was shocked.

When people go on vacation it’s to escape from the trials & tribulations of their daily lives. It’s no different for people who are handicapped. We didn’t ask to be this way but we deal with it the best we can. We try to live independent lives. I didn’t need my disability slapped in my face. My mind also works great so I didn’t need crew members to treat me like I’m an idiot.

Take this as a warning. If you have any special needs don’t travel with Carnival.

Loriawojo's Full Rating Summary