Norwegian Pearl Cruise Review

Norwegian Pearl Cruise Review by kingclan

• Sail Date: Apr 2019
  • Destination: Transatlantic
  • Cabin Type: Inside

The first day aboard, I was pleasantly surprised. Our inside cabin was nicer than expected. My sister and I had plenty of room and the bathroom had a lovely shower. Our steward was excellent during the whole cruise. However, it went down hill fast. We were notified on the 2nd day that a virus was discovered on board. By the 4th day everything in the Buffet was covered with plastic and we had to be served our food by employees who didn't know what they were doing. By the time we got to our table our food was cold. It was really depressing, so we started to eat in the main dining rooms. Here the food was slightly better and usually warm but the service again was terrible. I might add that the food was bland everywhere and the desserts all had some kind of gelatin in them. Even the cheesecake!! The precautions the staff were taking to contain the virus was ridiculous. We had to have our hands sprayed upon entering any dining room and we were given paper menus. However, I seldom saw the staff disinfect their own hands and cleaning the tables in the Buffet was a joke. I did not see anyone in the public areas with disinfection. There were 2 nights where they supposedly disinfected the halls and some public areas but a lot of germs could be around between cleanings. They were constantly making announcements about washing our hands and staying in our rooms if we were ill. But they gave no information as to the viirus' containment. They cancelled the Behind the Scenes Tour and a few other events with flimsy excuses when we all knew it was because of the virus. Just be upfront about it! On top of all of that, we had very choppy seas for about 3 to 4 days. Obviously that was not the cruise line's fault but it just added another layer of discomfort.

The excursions were very expensive and disappointing. We went to Cork and arrived in Kinsdale to find there was a big rugby game going on and as it was Sunday most of the shops were closed! The London excursion was a joke. We went through some neighborhood that had warehouses converted to apartments. I can see that at home! Then we stopped at the Tower of London and waited 20 min. while our guide got the tickets. Once we got in, we should have been allowed to wander around and meet up at a certain point. Instead we ALL had to wait at least 30 min while everyone used the rest rooms and then we saw the crown jewels and barely had enough time to get back to the bus. We never saw the cells or armour. We only had an hour for lunch which left no time to shop. The bus driver didn't even slow down so we could get some pictures. I have never been on Norwegian before and after this I never will be on it again.

kingclan's Full Rating Summary

Inside
Cabin ID 8501

The cabin had plenty of room for 2 adults. Lots of storage. The bathroom had a lovely shower.

Cobh (Cork)

Did not take into account that it was Sunday and stores were closed. Also a rugby match going on.

Dublin

We toured in the morning so had plenty of free time to check out other sights.

Dublin

We toured in the morning so had plenty of free time to check out other sights.

Paris

Driver was very considerate and often slowed down so we could get pictures. Only had a short time to eat lunch in an upscale shopping mall food court which took up valuable time. We did have a little time to shop the street vendors right outside the mall. I would recommend going outside and getting a sandwich and then shop.

Tower of London

Very disorganized. See my review for more info.

View All 1 Tower of London Reviews
Walking Tour

We took a walking tour of Ghent and saw a demonstration on making chocolates. There was no lunch involved with this tour so we had plenty of time to browse the shops. Our guide was very knowledgeable and helpful. We saw all the wonderful architecture including the Castle of the Counts

View All 51 Walking Tour Reviews