Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review
2,389 Reviews

Something for everyone in the family....

Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by jbrinkerhoff

• Sail Date: Apr 2010
  • Destination: the Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Oceanview Porthole Window

Our kids (16, 13, and 11) as well as my husband and I thoroughly enjoyed this trip. There were plenty of teens due to Spring Break and many couples in our age category. The NCL employees were incredibly wonderful, professional, pleasant, and so very very hard working. You would think that 'freestyle' cruising would mean that you would not have the opp to get to have personalized service, but our experience was anything but that. Not only did the employees do such a great job remembering our names, but also remembered our daily routines, as well as our food and drink preferences.

The ship was incredibly clean at all times. The food tasted great and the reggae band on pool side was fantastic. The entertainment was very enjoyable. Very professional dancers put on performances that could rival Vegas. Tim Kaminski was the comedian. Other comedians I've experienced on cruise ships, just keep to themselves and pop up when it's time to perform. Not Tim! He was there greeting us as we came on board, he was ALWAYS amongst the guests making us laugh, asking where we were from, and just being an awesome representative for NCL. His humor will keep you in tears and it's certainly fun for the whole family! Jean Pierre (JP) the magician was also incredible. He is one of the best that I've seen. He was up at the bar in the evening and after giving him a pack of cards, kept blowing our minds away. The ventriloquist Patrick Murray was painful. He is good at what he does, but his material was lacking. So I wouldn't recommend his show.

As for the kids program, our teens were stoked to get registered with the teen club. However, the one thing I have found is that for kids around 10-12, the programs seems to really lack. Often the kids are put in a conference room with kids younger than them for basically all day with a bunch of games, xbox, and "baby games" as our 11 year old likes to describe it. So unfortunately, our 11 year old did not have any desire to go to the kids club. But was very happy to see that his XBox (yes we actually brought it!) worked with the TV in the cabin. Be sure to bring the appropriate adapters to get the video and sound to work! And expect the kids cabin become the new kids club!

Overall we had a wonderful time and the kids won't stop talking about all the friends they've made and are still talking to over facebook, skype and of course texting!

jbrinkerhoff's Full Rating Summary

Oceanview Porthole Window
Cabin OG 4522

4522 - shower kept backing up, took a while for it to drain. Small port hole, rather than big window for oceanview.

4524 - adjoining door to 4522 (kept kids in this one). Still small port hole for window, but not big deal. Very close to elevators, but not noisy at all.

Roatan

Not a place I'd go strolling through on my own, let alone with a family. However if you do an excursion, you won't want to miss the Zip lining with Pirates of the Caribbean Canopy Tour. I HIGHLY recommend the Extreme zip lining activity. I am seriously scared of heights, but after going downthe first zip line - I was hooked! The workers are fun and friendly and very professional. Our entire family went on this adventure and by booking direct, it is considerably less than going direct through the ship. http://www.roatanpiratescanopy.com/

Belize City

It wasn't so fun having to tender in. Once you are there, I recommend having someone waiting for you to take you on your tour. Walking around on your own is a bit scary. I was offered drugs and what not just from the short walk from the van to the port entrance. We felt very safe since we made arrangements with Cave-Tubing.com. They were there to pick us up and drive us to our destination. I will warn you that the drive is quite long (one hour or less), but well worth the trip. You get to take a short walk with your tube on an easy path through the jungle. It was beautiful! Once you reach the river, you are linked up with one another (6-8 people max) to keep everyone safe and your cave tubing tour guide will take you through the cave, explain the formations, and everything you will see. It was so cool! I highly advise a waterproof camera to capture some of the incredible sights you'll see in there. I realized I lucked out booking direct since I heard those that went via the ship excursion had groups that were so big, they had to wait for such long times at the trail and water. After the trip through the cave we went to the operator's place of business (just a few minutes from there). There you can enjoy some delicious food for a very reasonable price. Contact cave-tubing.com for prices and reservations.

Costa Maya

Take your swimming suit since there is a great swim up bar for everyone to enjoy. The "town" has basically been built for the "boat people". So just be prepared to see a bunch of stores with the typical trinkets and such. Not much to do here, however the kids got some great henna tattoos. We recommend going to the vendor towards the back of the square (by the "boot store"). He is much better priced and his quality if fantastic.

jbrinkerhoff