3. Anthem of the Seas
We were on the Anthem Bermuda/Boston cruise April 27-May 4. We chose to fly in a day early and stay in NYC. Transportation costs into the city, to the port, and back to LGA were just over $200 with Dial 7 limo service, but they were extremely prompt (even early) and easy to work with. Bo05arding the ship in Bayonne was the easiest we have ever done. Car dropped us off with our luggage and we walked into the terminal about 11:05. We were checked in quickly (no line) and walked onto the ship with the suite guests. I told the lady we were not suite guests, but she sent us right in. We were on the ship by 11:30 easily. We ate in the Windjammer and then went exploring. The day was a bit windy, so it was not a good day to sit by the pool. We did enjoy the view from the bridge “wings” and especially appreciated the view of the Teardrop 9/11 memorial there at the port. Rooms were ready right at 1:00 and our luggage was already in the hallway, so that was a nice treat. We had a standard balcony room 9288 that is on the aft slope and has a slightly larger than normal balcony for standard balcony price. The room felt larger to us than any balcony room we have ever had. The bed placement was by the balcony, so that may have contributed to the sense of largeness. Sailaway was right on time and because it was a beautiful clear day, we had good views of the Statue of Liberty. We had chosen My Time Dining because we had very good luck with it on Oasis and Majesty. On both ships we had the same table and waitstaff every night. Not so on Anthem. In fact, if I have one complaint about Anthem it is the sense of chaos around MTD seating. Lines were long but fast every night. Still, it felt like they were just placing us anywhere each night. Nevertheless, service and food were excellent in American Icon and Silk. We dined one night in Chops and it was also very good. It is much darker than on Oasis because of its location, but service and food were good. Solarium Bistro was also good, but we chose to dine there the night we were leaving Bermuda so we could see the sail away. Curtains were closed, however, and we saw nothing. Bermuda was the highlight of the ports of call of course. Weather was beautiful and we had a great visit. Once we left Bermuda weather was not so good. Days were cool and Boston was misty and 46 degrees. Weather didn’t prevent us from doing anything in Boston, and we enjoyed the city very much. We took the CityView trolley HOHO tour and liked it very much. One tip: don’t plan to walk to the City View pick up. They say it’s a 15 min walk, but it’s more like 30. Once we got there the tour was very good. We arrived back in Bayonne early Saturday, and were among the first to disembark by using self assist. We were off the ship by 6:55, and I notified the car service that we were already off the ship. We were picked up at 7:15 even though I had told them 8:00. We thoroughly enjoyed the Anthem. We did miss the outdoor space of the Oasis, but the Solarium and indoor pool areas offered a semi-outdoor feel, and chairs were almost always available at any time of day in those areas. Anthem is a beautiful ship, and the crew was excellent. Cruise shows are not really our thing, and the entertainment on Anthem was hardly different. We were disappointed in Spectra’s Cabaret after reading rave reviews about it. The show lacked energy we felt. And The Gift was just your average cruise ship show. The one show we were blown away by was We Will Rock You. Outside of Disney Cruise entertainment, this was the best show we’ve ever seen on a cruise. The show’s lead guitarist played acoustic in the Schooner Bar a couple of times and she was amazing. Ours was cruise director Dennis’s last week on Anthem, and I don’t know who has replaced him. For those that are interested, the 10 drink card was offered on Day 4 for $79 I believe. I didn’t get it because we were off the ship for most of Day 4 and all of Day 6. If I’d had someone to share the 10 drinks with me, I would have purchased it. We felt like the Anthem to Bermuda was a good bang for our buck when we purchased and we were not disappointed. I would definitely cruise her or another Quantum class ship again, but in all honesty we do prefer the Oasis class ships. Those wide open air spaces are hard to top on a cruise ship.

Amazing Anthem

cleophus12’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas price drops

Ocean View Balcony
Cabin 6D 9288
Cabin was larger than other balcony cabins we have been in. Plenty of storage. Bed next to balcony makes the room feel even larger. Cabin steward was excellent.
Deck 13 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins