3. Carnival Sunshine
After booking our cruise, I was shocked to read so many negative reviews and began to dread my cruise (which, of course, you never want to do!). I've come to the conclusion that some people just need something to complain about. Was this cruise equivalent to staying in a five-star hotel in a major city? No, of course not, but if I wanted to do that I would have stayed in a five-star hotel in a major city. I wanted to cruise with my family, relax, and have fun, and I was able to do all of that and more on the Carnival Sunshine! My family of three (my husband, myself and our 8-year-old daughter) cruised in April 2019 from Port Caneveral and cruised to Aruba, Curacao and Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic. We stayed in a balcony room, which was the perfect amount of space for us, although we weren't in the room all that often. I wish that our neighbor wasn't smoking a lot of the time, and I could have complained to guest services but didn't - that was on me. Otherwise, the room was great. Our housekeeper, Ari, was super friendly and did an excellent job. Of course, we all loved the towel animals! I saw so many complaints about the food on this cruise and I sincerely do not understand. The buffet was lacking, but I'm not a buffet eater so I just ... didn't eat there. The main dining room service was slow, but that's standard on all cruises I've been on. The food itself was very good in the dining room, and we loved the options for lunch! The fish tacos at Blue Iguana were AMAZING, and I ate them many times. I tried a bite of a burger from Guy's and it was delicious. JiJi's wok bowls for lunch were excellent, and my daughter loved being able to get pasta. I can honestly say I have no complaints about the food. Drinks were cold and plentiful. My husband and I are drinkers and so we purchased and made good use of the Cheers! package. We felt we used it enough that it was worth the money, but you'll have to decide that based on your own personal preferences. This was my fourth cruise and I couldn't tell you anything about any of the previous cruise directors, but MIKEY made our experience on this boat. He was EVERYWHERE, and so upbeat and friendly. Definitely don't miss events that Mikey is running. We particularly enjoyed 80s and 90s music trivia! CAMP OCEAN was an incredible experience for our daughter! She had a great time with the counselors and the other kids. I really enjoyed the many ways that this cruise catered to families - but I also noted and appreciated the many ways it catered to the adult experience, too. We were able to enjoy both sides of the experience. Embarkation was quick and easy. Debarkation was somewhat of a mess, but I've yet to experience a cruise where it wasn't. In closing, we booked our next Carnival cruise within a week of coming home. We had an amazing time. There is something on this boat for everyone, whether you are traveling with or without kids. You just have to find it, and the Carnival Sunshine made that very easy. I would definitely recommend this ship to others!

Excellent family vacation on an excellent ship!

Carnival Sunshine Cruise Review by opto_mom

opto_mom’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 7 to 9
Get Carnival Sunshine price drops

Balcony
Cabin 8B 6259
Fine for three people. The balcony allowed us to enjoy being outside away from the crowds. Can't say anything negative about the room.
Deck 7 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins