3. Norwegian Gem
My significant other and I just returned from the Boston to Bermuda cruise (5/3-5/10). We were on a Royal Caribbean cruise in December which we enjoyed very much but unfortunately we were very disappointed in the cruise on the Gem for several reasons. I purposely took notes so that I could let the customer relations department know about my first Norwegian experience. I do not believe you can fix something if you are unaware the problem exists. • 5/4 during our first experience at the pool below the upper bar, it was a windy day and the trash from above was blowing down into the pool area (cigarette boxes, cups, wrappers). It would be one thing if someone was cleaning this up and on top of it but the trash sat there and accumulated the entire time we were at the pool. There were plenty of people standing at a table pushing spa products but nobody to pick up or sweep the area. • We had a couples pedicure scheduled for the morning at 9:00am that we scheduled during our tour of the spa. Not one person mentioned to us there is a time difference and that we should adjust our phones accordingly. Although it may have been written someplace it was the next morning and we had no idea. The spa called us three or four times and we answered the phone but nobody said anything. We learned 10 minutes later the cord on the phone was broken and unless you held it a certain way the person on the other end could not hear you speaking. They told us that they could fit us in if we hurried. • 5/5 mid-morning/afternoon we were at the Garden Café and there was a loud banging coming from what I thought was the other side of the bar area so I ran around to see what the loud noise was and the gentleman at the counter informed me they were working in the room behind the bar. Right after that there was loud grinding noise on top of the banging that continued for at least 20 minutes to a half hour or more. • 5/6 approximately 7am we were awoken by loud clanging noise that continued until 9am. When we complained they mentioned something about the life boats but this was still unacceptable at these hours or at all during the cruise. • 5/6 the main pool bar had approximately 20-25 people waiting with one bartender on. • Our friend fell getting off the boat to go to town, when she came back on the boat immediately after falling to get Band-Aids for her road rash knees they told her the doctor would not be available until 5pm. She went to get band aids at the front desk and they told her she could purchase them. • 5/8 it was a beautiful day and everyone was at the pool. Unfortunately both pools were drained and closed. There were men in white coveralls in the pool doing some sort of maintenance for most of the day. At some point they put on masks and were applying some sort of toxic chemical that they were wearing masks to put on. The concerning thing for every guest aside from the inconvenience of the pool being closed was now this incredibly strong chemical smell wafting up into the area where all the guest were sitting without masks. Not only is this a health hazard but just a mindless act that I am shocked Norwegian corporate signed off on. • There were parts of the boat that were roped off and being painted while the cruise hardly half way through. This was not due to the wind that was an entirely different thing and I completely understand the decks being closed off for high wind. • During Bingo the final day there was a 10 minutes hard sell for re-cruising if you book now you can get all of these discounts, which honestly in my opinion was too much considering there was construction on the boat the majority of the time we were cruising. • The final day we headed back to the garden café to get a drink and again there was a group of men in white coveralls painting the stairs white. In summary, I am truly disappointed with the lack of staffing, the lack of professionalism, the nickel and diming for everything. Since when does a premium drink package not include water, soda or coffee? I walked up to more than two bars where the bartenders were either arguing with each other or ignoring the customers. I think it was the first day we sat at O’Sheehans to eat and they said we could eat at the bar but we had to walk over to the hostess stand and get menus. I then pointed out there was a menu right behind the gentleman who said this. I don’t mind walking over to the hostess stand I understand that is the policy when you are trying to be seated in the dining area. This was day one and the lack of interest in the guests or to make us feel welcome should have been a red flag because it was consistent throughout the entire cruise. It is not for us to know that the waiters shouldn’t come behind the bar because the bartender kept yelling at them. I am have been in the hospitality industry my entire work life and know exactly what needs to be done to make someone feel welcome and appreciated. If this was the representation of Norwegian that this company has put forth to keep people cruising on their boats then I can say without a doubt we will be pursuing our next vacation with a different cruise line. The biggest disappointment for me is that I have heard so many great things about Norwegian and was really looking forward to a great vacation.

Construction Cruise 2019