3. Norwegian Dawn
I’d like to start by saying the overall cruise experience with NCL was a good one. The stateroom accommodations were very nice. Our cabin steward was dedicated & pleasant. The way NCL upgraded the ship was nice, too. We liked the way the vessel was laid out. The restaurants were all easy to find, with the exception of the Italian restaurant tucked away in the stern of the ship. We took all our meals onboard except for one day when we had lunch at a restaurant ashore. The food on the ship was very good with the exception of the Asian restaurant. The seafood soup there was inedible and the remaining courses we had there were below average. However, I must say the hostess at the Asian restaurant was accommodating. We also feel the overall variety of food NCL offered on the ship was great. There was lots to choose from. The entertainment onboard seemed to be hit or miss. The dancers were good. The choreography was also good but I’m sorry to say that some of the singers were poor. Our NCL cruise director may be good at her job but I’m afraid she doesn’t have a very good voice. The bands we heard were also good. The brass band was very good. The man & woman trapeze act was fabulous! Again, overall the entertainment was both good & not so good. Great Stirrup Cay was absolutely beautiful. It made for a perfect day. I thought the fact that NCL didn’t have a dock to accommodate the ship & to aid in getting passengers on & off the island was going to be a major inconvenience but it wasn’t. The ferry shuttle was fine. The island was pristine. Personally, this beach day was the highlight of my trip. I’m sorry to say the most disappointing part of the cruise was disembarking on the last day. I understand NCL reserves the right to run a few minutes ahead of schedule or behind schedule as they see fit while disembarking passengers. I know it’s a huge undertaking to get everyone off the ship & to turn the vessel around. However, what we experienced the last day was disturbing. The scheduled time for us to disembark was 9:40am to 10:am. Personally, my girlfriend & I were running about 10 minutes ahead of schedule to disembark. At the same time NCL was running about a half hour ahead of schedule disembarking passengers. We had eaten, we were packed & we were dressing to disembark, when at 9:25am a knock came at our cabin door. We yelled through the door for the individual knocking to wait but in literally two seconds the stateroom door was unlocked & opened from the outside. An officer dressed in white appeared in the threshold of our cabin shouting, “You must leave the ship!” Again, my girlfriend & I were not dressed. How rude?! It was so embarrassing. I was angered. The whole ordeal just stressed us out. Frankly, we cruised with NCL to unplug & to un-stress. Instead it seemed like we ended up disembarking with more stress than we initially boarded with. I’m still shaking my head. I’ve cruised with Disney & I don’t believe Disney would ever, EVER do anything like this! Again, I know all cruise lines need to keep a tight schedule when disembarking passengers & turning vessels around. However, for NCL to apply this much pressure is to the detriment of the their guests. I also believe the officer at our door didn’t just decide to be this intrusive on her own. She was more than likely instructed by upper management to clear out the ship. Regardless, NCL needs to understand they simply cannot do this to their guests and think it’s ok because it’s just simply, Not ok. So, all-in-all we had a good cruise but I really don’t know if we’ll be coming back to NCL after being embarrassed & chased off the ship. And finally, if there are free-safe modes of transportation available at any NCL ports of call there should be no reason why NCL wouldn’t want to advertise that. NCL brochures & the NCL website are full of information about shore excursions & paid modes of transportation. NCL needs to advertise all major transportation options available at their ports of call, both free & paid options & allow passengers to choose.

My NCL Cruise