3. Celebrity Silhouette
We loved Amsterdam on a city break visit year so decided on a short cruise. We loved the skill steering through the lock and the scenery on the river up to Amsterdam. We upgraded to Concierge Class and the speedy check in was good, we had lunch in the main restaurant on the first day for concierge passengers, this was slow in terms of food and drinks service. We were happy with our stateroom, it was clean and tidy, the only complaint I have is that it was hard to get toiletries, they weren’t replaced without asking. A Celebrity cut back I think. We paid nearly five hundred dollars for two drinks packages for three nights, which is an outrageous price, on top of an expensive cruise, especially when you can’t get served. The bar service was atrocious throughout the cruise. Celebrity knew that there would be parties of people on a cruise to a destination like Amsterdam, so should have provided the service. The bars were understaffed, the table waiters were non existent and poorly trained. We waited over half an hour on more than one occasion for two drinks. I asked twice in the casino for drinks service, that never came. Because of the pressure Celebrity put their staff under they were unsmiling verging on grumpy. Celebrity Eclipse has previously given us great bar service. I did make a written complaint at guest services, but one wonders if it is just filed away. Along with other reviews people in the jacuzzis were shouting, ruining the cruise. for other passengers and more importantly guests were drinking out of glasses and bottles whilst in the jacuzzi making it a likely for somebody to sustain a bad cut. The attendants did nothing. The Grand Cuvee restaurant provided very good service both in terms of food and drink. It was a nice touch that we were seated on the same station each night.I also noticed that menus have been reduced from what we have been given on other Celebrity ships. We were lucky to have the Internet included as the prices charged are ridiculous. We will most likely be travelling with Fred Olsen or Princess on future occasions. Other people we talked too shared our opinions and will also cruise with other Cruise lines.

Silhouette to Amsterdam and the worst bar service on any ship.

Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Review by John Terry