3. Carnival Spirit
This was a first time cruise for my family and another (10 of us in total). I've travelled a fair bit and worked in resorts, but have never done a cruise and I was pleasantly surprised. To cut to the chase - my wife is coeliac and had major issues with the food she was served. We told them she'd need special food (gluten and dairy free) and we were assured she'd be looked after prior to booking/departure etc. Her expectations around food are pretty low, but she's been treated to good coeliac food on other recent holidays we've been on. Really, all she wants is average food that won't set off her immune issues/allergies. It quickly became apparent to us on the cruise that every meal was going to be a gamble. We had a standing table for dinner and the same waiters every night and they quickly got a handle on the situation - however, the odd side dish or dessert would slip through will dairy or gluen in it. And some of the gf/df mains they served were terrible. Overall, dinner was good though. Lunch and breakfast was a different story however. The only coeliac breakfast foods on offer in the restaurant were pancakes and fruit... and the pancakes weren't great. The non-allergen food wasn't really worth the wait there either, so we started eat breakfast at the buffet from day 2. At least the bacon there was gf/df. For me (without food allergies) - the buffet was great. Burgers, Mexican, omelettes and pizza were a highlight for me and I would have been happy to have dinner there most nights. It was a nightmare for my wife however, as just about everything available wasn't gf/df - the pizza place did a decent gf/df pizza, but not something you'd want for every meal. Occasionally, we'd find friendly of sympathetic chef who'd cook a meal specifically for her, but we found that the vast majority of staff would run with the low-risk option of answering 'no' when we asked if something was gluten or dairy free. Only a few of them would actually check. Even though she was as careful as possible, by about day 5, her food allergies were significantly triggered and it put a damper on the whole cruise for us. The only other damper was the ridiculous 'roll call' held on deck about 2 hours after boarding. I've never seen anything like it. If you haven't been through it before, I suggest you do all you can to avoid it. The process consists of lining all passengers up on deck 3 at the 4 evacuation points and standing there, packed in like sardines in the belting sun, for about an hour with no explanation about what is going on. Those who come early are punished by having to stand at the back and by simply being there the longest. After about an hour (or a point where they think enough passengers have turned up perhaps?), they give you a 5-second demonstration of how to put on a life jacket that only about 5% of people can see and then turn you loose. It was like a re-enactment of the roll call at a POW camp - staff told us there was 'no sitting' and people started feeling faint and claustrophobic. Not a great way to start the cruise! Also - the kids club pretty much sucked. We had kids in 3 age groups and the only ones to enjoy it were the 8 year olds. The kids club spaces were stuffy and boring for the older kids.

Awesome experience overall, but not without significant food allergy issues

Carnival Spirit Cruise Review by Steven_76

Ages 13 to 15
Get Carnival Spirit price drops

Balcony
Cabin 8A 4215/4217
Was more spacious than we were expecting. The deck was private and awesome. We got a conjoined room with the kids - wish there had been a lock on the interconnecting door!
Main Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Isle of Pines (New Caledonia)
    Great beach, great markets, great local food on offer (including half lobsters for $30 and endemic snails for $3 each that were fried in garlic butter). Plenty of places that could be explored on foot. Exceptionally friendly and helpful locals.
    View All 238 Isle of Pines (New Caledonia) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Isle of Pines (New Caledonia) Cruise Port Review
  • Snorkeling
    Best inshore snorkelling that I've experienced anywhere in the world at Jinek Bay (and I've done a lot of diving). A lot of people that buy tickets to Jinek Bay aren't very experienced so don't believe all you read about it (for example, we saw at least 5 people who bought tickets just to swim there (not snorkel) and complained that there was too much coral) - if you swim further out there are some spectacular bommies. Closer in there's heaps of shallow reefs that you can swim over if the tide isn't out. We saw a few turltes here and just about every fish you can imagine. Some of the coral closer in has bleached though, which is pretty depressing. Don't be afraid to explore here, the currents aren't very strong and the locals are happy for you to go 'anywhere' - just don't stand on the corals or spend too much time milling around the areas close to the stairs (they obviously get hammered).
    View All 10 Snorkeling Reviews
  • Tropical Forest Walk 7 Secret Grotto
    We also did 'the Cave' - I won't spoil it for you, but its definitely worth the $5 (kids) and $10 (adults) they charge. A great way to wash off after snorkelling - don't be scared to jump in!
    View All 5 Tropical Forest Walk 7 Secret Grotto Reviews
  • Beach
    We did the Jedjele Beach along with everyone else on the ship. Its a big beach though and didn't feel crowded at any point. Its a great beach for swimming and snorkelling. Great for kids. Doesn't get very deep and plenty of corals/fish to see (highlights were lionfish and titan triggerfish). There wasn't as much food or souvenirs on offer as other islands which reflects the fact that Mare is less inhabited (or at least that part of Mare).
  • City Tour
    Something that Carnival didn't tell us about Noumea is that the ship docks in the middle of a container terminal and there's no way out of there other than by bus (which is $20 a ticket, or $100 for our family). So we bought bus tickets and they turned out to be totally worth it. The bus stopped at 7(ish) places and was on a loop, with one coming by every 10-20 minutes, so it ended up being a good option. We went to the markets (which in hindsight were no good for anything but local food, and you need French currency for the food). We also stopped at the beach and swam/snorkelled. The beach is nice and has good public toilets/change rooms and cafes nearby with free wifi. The snorkelling isn't very good compared to other islands, but its still better than just about anywhere you'd find south of Byron Bay.
    View All 45 City Tour Reviews