3. Avalon Expression
My wife and I,her brother and sister and brother in law, decided to take this Rhine river cruise (Basel to Amsterdam) to celebrate my wife's 70th birthday. Cruising was not high on my agenda for likes but after this experience, we are both keen to do more. In early April, we flew from Australia to London and then after a few days to Basel where we joined the cruise. Everything was great - the food (excellent), the cruise director (to the point, humourous and informative), the guides (knew their stuff and added wit and humour), rooms were cleaned regularly and quickly, the bar persons knew their stuff and nothing was too much trouble. The cabin (level 3 panorama) was comfortable and being able to put our suitcases under the bed gave a plenty of room. The bed was very comfortable and having a 7ft sliding window that could be opened gave us the opportunity on occasions to lie on the bed and watch the world go by. The excursions were interesting and informative and we got good exercise by walking around the towns and cities. I certainly benefited from this. Brother and sister in law relished the walking. The boat had around 170-190 people on board with no children and this made the whole atmosphere calm and relaxed - as it should be. The age group was generally average age of around 50-55 with predominantly Americans and Canadians and a few Aussies to sweeten the pot. Dinner was in the dining room with plenty of choices of food and an endless supply of wine and beer. For lunch, you could go to the dining room for more substantial fare or in the lounge area for something light. Overall ambience on board was fantastic. The only negative that I can identify was that the WiFi was poor (and perhaps that the cruise was too short). My wife and I are now converts and are already thinking about another river cruise but perhaps a little longer in duration. We would recommend Avalon to any who are considering a river cruise.

Highly Recommend this Trip

Avalon Expression Cruise Review by vilks

• Sail Date: April 2019
  • Destination: Europe
  • Cabin Type: Panorama Suite with French Balcony

Overall ambience on board was fantastic.

We would recommend Avalon to any who are considering a river cruise.
vilks’s Full Rating Summary
Get Avalon Expression price drops

Panorama Suite with French Balcony
Cabin P 317
Great cabin with plenty of space, facilities and decent sized comfortable bed (I am 6'3" tall). The cabin was tidied and cleaned before we returned from breakfast every day and then the bed was turned down every evening whilst we were at dinner.
Royal Deck Suite Cabins