3. Viking Alsvin
We chose this cruise because of the extension of Zermatt and Geneva. We had been to Zermatt years before and the call of the Matterhorn was before us, We were not so interested in the small towns in Germany along the way so because of cold weather and rain, we stayed with the ship and did not go on walks in those towns. We disembarked in Basil and did a city bus tour. Places we have visted before have all, for better or worse, changed. Our last stop was Zurich before the extension. For the better part of the river cruise, I developed a cough. Passengers were very concerned and offered cough drops and we very caring. I asked our tour director, Boris, when we arrived at our hotel in Zurich, about where I could find a doctor. He didn't know and offered no assistance to answer my question. By then my condition was much worse. It was Raphael at our hotel who guided us to a pharmacy where physicians were great. After exrays and a blood test, my diagnosis was Pneumonia. The physician there warned that we were not to go on the extended trip and we did not. Viking found us a flight with Air Canada to Toronto and then to Philadelphia. It is the people who make your trip. It's not the sights, or the entertainment, but we have found that it is always people.

We have cuised on Viking's Sea going ships and wanted to try their Longboats.

Viking Alsvin Cruise Review by chef58

• Sail Date: April 2019
  • Destination: Europe River
  • Cabin Type: Veranda Stateroom

chef58’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Alsvin price drops

Veranda Stateroom
Cabin B 335
All cabins on river boats need to be small and ours was very comfortable. I began to notice that while our cabin attendant was very good and arranging small things, she was poor on cleaning. Our carpet was not vacuumed, and mirrors not washed. She did not change linens in a timely fashion.

IT IS TIME VIKING STOPPED BUILDING SHIPS AND START BUILDING RELATIONSHIPS
Middle Deck Balcony Cabins

We have sailed many times with Viking.
Our first river cruise with them was lacking in so much of what we had been used to.
The passengers were called for the initial cruise talk. We walked into the room and there was not one seat available. We were told that we could sit in the outside room, but we could not hear the speakers. An employee told us to "pull you chairs into the other room." WHY DIDN'T HE DO THAT FOR US? Poor housecleaning, great waiter, good food, bad tour director. Too interested in modulating his voice like he was in Hollywood.