Crown Princess Cruise Review

Crown Princess Cruise Review by jfe

• Sail Date: Apr 2019
  • Destination: Transatlantic
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

We chose this cruise because my sister in law and brother in law were booked. Our brother in law is having some serious health issues and we thought it would be a nice way to spend time with them and to help out with his mobility issues. Embarkation went smoothly. But, disembarkation at some of the ports and the final disembarkation were a nightmare. At one port (I believe Belgium), since it was a working port, you had to take the Princess shuttle to get you to the gate. They had only one bus- for 3,000+ people. Most everyone was late for their excursions and thus had the time shortened for each excursion. At one point (I believe for Southhampton) local authorities had to come aboard to do passport checking. The line literally ran the length of the ship- and this is one big ship. One gentleman passed out in line, hit his head, and as knocked unconscious. At our final disembarkation in Dublin, it was chaos. Again, crazy long lines. We had been told that only 56 people were disembarking there- wrong! There had to be at least 500. We had also been told that there would be no taxi service at the port. Because of my brother in laws mobility issues, the ship booked a taxi for us. But, as we got off the ship, there was a huge line of taxis waiting and no way to track down if any of them were for us. We literally got one of the last taxis. On another note, my sister in law and I did the zumba class every day while at sea. While the instructor was nice, she did the exact same routine to the exact same songs each day. I have never been to a zumba class like this before. The food was OK- nothing memorable. The burger joint on the Lido deck was a huge disappointment- thin dry hamburgers and thin dry chicken. We had gone to a similar burger place on a Holland America ship that was amazing. On a positive note, the pizza was surprisingly good with a different specialty pizza each day.

I don't believe that I would do a transatlantic crossing again. My husband enjoyed it but I found it monotonous- like Groundhog Day every day. The crew were very nice and helpful- no issues there. We had a standard balcony room and it was fine. The ship itself had a few signs of wear and tear but was otherwise in good condition.

jfe's Full Rating Summary

Balcony
Cabin BF R209

Our cabin was forward on the boat so we did have some rocking and rolling during the crossing. It probably was better if the cabin were midship or aft.

jfe