I wanted to write this review because I saw a number of poor ratings for Holland America and since we had a good experience, I thought it would be fair to write a good one. This was our first cruise with HAL and we were on the Zaandam. This is a beautiful ship with a musical theme. We liked the baroque organ. We ran into two storms on the Pacific Ocean with 6.5 meter waves and the Captain changed our port of call from Ushuaia to Castro and also gave us the beautiful Brujo glacier. We were good with the decision since it was a bit of a rough ride that day. We had booked mostly private excursions since we like the smaller groups. Except for the tendering ports, all the ports of call on our cruise were well managed. We have travelled with at least 4 other cruise lines and we found the food selection to be good better than some of the others. We liked having less choices but better quality. Cabin crew were good. Enrichment activities were good. Entertainment were okay. Embarkation and Disembarkation were spot on. All in all, we liked Holland America and have already booked another cruise with them on the Westerdam. Hoping to be able to have the same level of service or better.

34 day South America, Inca and Panama Canal discovery cruise

Zaandam Cruise Review by drostep

• Sail Date: March 2019
  • Destination: South America
  • Cabin Type: Large Outside Stateroom (partial sea view)
drostep’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Zaandam price drops

Large Outside Stateroom (partial sea view)
Cabin H 3303
We liked our cabin which was very close to the hull of the ship. Cabin crew were good. Since Zaandam is a small ship, all the cabins are very accessible to everything. I really like the small ship concept of Holland America.
Navigation Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins