3. Anthem of the Seas
Sailed 4/27/2019 to 5/4/2019. We chose this cruise because we loved Bermuda the first time we sailed there a few years ago and the Bayonne cruise port is in driving distance from our home. Check in was by far the easiest in the 15 cruises I have taken. Ever. We uploaded our own photos and did the pre check in prior to cruise day. Do this otherwise you will be standing in a separate line for them to do it for you. We arrived to the port around 10:15 am or so. We were on board by around 10:45 am. This counts unloading our luggage with a porter, finding a parking spot in the garage, standing in a very short line for Gold passengers and getting checked it. The ship is lovely and has many high tech features. This is the biggest ship we have sailed on so far. I was a little nervous. It didn't typically feel very crowded except for when they brought out the watches and other items for sale. Bionic Bar also got a little crowded at times. Solarium was tough to find a spot during the day partially due to chair hogs but around 5:00 pm or so, it was much better. It was nice to get away from the hundreds of small children and strollers aboard. Check out the Solarium on deck 14 for breakfast as it is less crowded than Windjammer. The selection is more limited but we always found something we liked. It is less chaotic and crowded than the Windjammer. We ate breakfast in one of the MDR's twice. It's the same menu every day but they also have a buffet. We liked being waited on but it was better in the buffet. We were sailing with 2 other couples and somehow one of the couples had a different seating than us even though we linked them to our reservation. Due to this, we had to switch to Grande from Chic. We bought the 2 BOGO deal with the specialty dining venues and had a free specialty dinners from our travel agent. We ate at Chops, Jamie's and Wonderland. All were great. Wonderland was a neat experience. I thought I wouldn't care for it but I found it to be really good. We could have done without the lady who decided to change her kid's diaper in the restaurant while we were eating but overall it was awesome and I recommend it. Go in with an open mind. Jamie's was great as well. It was a lot of food!!! Wow! Chops was good but I have had better on other cruise lines. The service there was excellent. Hubby ate at Izumi for lunch and said it was excellent. Overall, the specialty dining was good and I would recommend it. Cafe Two70 and Sorrento's was decent. Two70 is a great place to hang out on a sea day with a book. The bartender there, Rony is the BEST! He made awesome drinks. We opted for the deluxe drink package. We could use it in the Starbuck's at La Patisserie and the specialty coffee station in Windjammer. You can also get unlimited bottle water. They give you large drink cups with a chip on the bottom to use in the stand up, self serve drink fountains. There's one in Sorrento's and a few in Windjammer. There may have been some others around but I didn't see them. It had all kinds of sodas (Coco Cola brands) as well and flavored waters. We didn't use it a ton but enjoyed it when we did use it. Brass and Bock was a fun place to hand out with our friends. The Cherry Orchard was a huge hit with us and they made a mean Bloody Mary. Highly recommend. We saw We Will Rock You. Thought it was outstanding! Didn't see Spectra's or The Gift. Saw the two comedians, both really funny. Watched L.A. vation, the U2 cover band twice. Really good!! The Music Hall was really cool and we spent most nights there after dinner. The 70's disco party was a hoot! Would have liked to play pool but there were kids in there most nights so we only got to play once. We loved Bermuda. Took the ferry to St. George for the day. Such a quaint little town. We went to some parks, did some shopping, took lots of photos and went to a couple small museums. The people were friendly and it was easy to walk around on our own. The ferry ride was about 28 minutes from King's Wharf. We highly recommend doing this. There's also another one to Hamilton. The second day, we spent mostly at King's Wharf. Got a Rum Swizzle and did a little shopping. The weather was gorgeous! It was in the mid to high 70's with a light breeze and sun. Perfect weather. Boston was OK but the weather was chilly and rainy. We made the best of it. We pre- purchased a Hop on Hop off with City View Tours. The price was great but I would opt for Old Town Trolleys as they are much closer to the cruise port. We had a haul to our first pickup spot so we had to take an Uber. I would use them if not on a cruise. Went to Quincy Market and Faneuil Hall. We also enjoyed some adult beverages at Cheers. The North End was neat and loved Mike's bakery! Please note that they will not let you bring on and baked goods as we found out when trying to get back on the ship. There was a whole line of us scarfing down cannoli and pastries. We along with other passengers, gave the baked goods we couldn't eat to the security staff. I am sure this happens all the time and now we know for next time. That was totally on us. Since we only live about 2 hours from Boston, I would definitely go there again in better weather. It is a great walking city. The reason for the 4 stars?? -The bed in our cabin was hard as cement. Our wonderful steward added some kind of padding which helped a little. I woke up with a sore back most days. -The walls are thin! We were in between multiple families that were all sailing together. Not sure why they didn't book a block of cabins together. It was incessant noises mostly screaming, slamming doors and yelling down the hall to one another. I am guessing all of their cabin phones were broken since they chose this as their main form of communication with one another. Our friends were down the hall from us and had a another set of families from the same group and experienced the same thing. They complained and even politely asked them to stop but it didn't get much better. Luckily we didn't spend a lot of time in our cabin or if we did, we went out on the balcony. -Main dining room dinner selection was not that great. Don't get me wrong, the food was fantastic. A lot of the selections were basic and underwhelming but tasty. -Lots of screaming children. This is not Royal's Caribbean's fault. We love kids and hate to seem like bitter old folks (we are in our 30's/early 40's) we just felt that there were so many that were unruly with matching parents it took away from our enjoyment. I saw 2 girls about 5 and 6 push an elderly woman using a walker out of their way. I saw these two girls nearly every day with no adult with them. They were not the only ones. I normally would never even bring something like that up but because it was the norm on this cruise. Every cruise is different of course our experience can be very different from the next. Overall, this was a great cruise. We would sail with Royal again.

Bermuda Cruise

Anthem of the Seas Cruise Review by seanugget

• Sail Date: April 2019
  • Destination: Bermuda
  • Cabin Type: Ocean View with Large Balcony

The reason for the 4 stars??

Overall, this was a great cruise. We would sail with Royal again.
seanugget’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas price drops

Ocean View with Large Balcony
Cabin 2C 13170
We had a Superior Oceanview Stateroom with Large Balcony. The balcony was really big. We loved that it was covered. There was a good amount of storage for 2 people. The walls and doors (main door and bathroom door) are magnetic. Bring hooks to help keep things orderly. The cabin decor was nice and had ample lighting. Our room steward, Jean was pleasant and kept our room clean. She also made some really cute towel animals. Please note that this cabin is near elevators and we could sometimes hear the elevators and or the people using them. Our very loud neighbors helped by usually yelling and screaming at each other that we barely noticed the elevator noises. It was easy to get to the Solarium from there as the "secret door" was right down the hall from us.
Deck 13 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins