3. Celebrity Millennium
As Millennium was the first ship to be part of the comprehensive fleet wide Celebrity refurbishment programme (February) I hope the following observations will be of interest. So, welcome to the Kelly Hoppen land of grey and brown. I didn’t think I would like it but it is ok for a couple of weeks. Whether this currently trendy combination of colours will stand the test of time does, of course, remain to be seen. It is smart but a touch boring for my tastes and I hated the wish-washy “art” in the cabin behind the bed. Anyway, the cabin ( Aqua, deck 9) was fine. The large round illuminated mirror was lovely. It added to the sophistication of the room. Comfortable bed, plenty of storage space and functional bathroom. No complaints (a small plumbing problem was quickly resolved). The food in Blu was mainly very good (a lot more hits than misses) and we enjoyed the environment. Service was good but the additional Aqua cabins do seem to have created congestion at peak times which is hardly surprising when Blu is still the same size. It is an issue which Celebrity need to address. The changes to the buffet were my favourite alteration to the ship. Great layout with use of counters and stools which were an efficient use of space and, also provided viewing places. The use of white tiles and logos worked well. The food maintained a good standard. The Sunset bar area at the back of the ship has received some criticism, although we thought it looked good and did provide enough shade. However, it was Japan in April and not the Mediterranean in July. All the lounges looked good with mainly perfectly sensible and comfortable seating. Sun loungers were all new and we enjoyed regular use of the Persian Garden. Musical offerings are important to us and I do appreciate that this is a subjective topic. The Cruise Director, Steve, was excellent. Lovely chap. The programming of music was perfect. Great use of the lounges at the right times. Bryan James, singer and acoustic guitarist, was a highlight. His sessions in Cafe al Bacio were particularly memorable. The house band, Bristol Fashion were very good and nice to talk to. The instrumental duo were also outstanding with a guitar providing so much more variety than the usually ubiquitous cello. The theatre was mainly used for music and comedy. We didn’t go to everything but those we did attend were good. Celebrity seem to be phasing out the costume singing and dancing extravaganzas which, personally, I welcome. The one we did see was incomprehensible and, for me, unbelievably tedious. Quizzes were run by one very good girl and two pretty awful chaps. I am sure they have talents but not in the quiz arena. This was the poorest aspect of the cruise. Fellow cruisers were lovely. It was one of the most sociable cruises we have taken and their company was much appreciated. Staff were outstanding. As helpful and friendly in all areas of the ship as one could ever wish to encounter. As mentioned CD Steve was really good, as was Captain’s Club host, Graeme, from Zimbabwe, who was never lost for a good story. Japan was a surprise. Amazing country, amazing people. We look forward to returning. The one ship’s tour (Mt. Fuji) we took was very good with an excellent guide. Everywhere else we made our own arrangements. It is difficult to rank cruises but of our 14 (9 Celebrity) this was as good as it gets. The combination of itinerary, the management of the ship by the amusing Captain Alex (and Captain Theo) and all their staff and the fact that Millennium was like a new ship contributed to our enjoyment of the cruise and our sadness that it had to end. In summary, the successful refurbishment was critical to the pleasure we experienced on Millennium.

Random Millennium thoughts.

Celebrity Millennium Cruise Review by montythecat

• Sail Date: April 2019
  • Destination: Asia

Sun loungers were all new and we enjoyed regular use of the Persian Garden.

montythecat’s Full Rating Summary