3. Norwegian Getaway
My husband and I were recently on the Norwegian Getaway Ship that sailed from NYC on Saturday April 13 and returned Saturday April 20, 2019. We have used Carnival and Royal Caribbean cruise lines, but this was our first experience on NCL. It was awful. This was by far the worst cruise we have ever had the displeasure of sailing. We had so many issues, I don’t even know how to rank them, so in no particular order: 1. Instead of a queen bed, we were given 2 twin beds with a large sheet on top. There was no cushion, and both beds dipped in the middle it was incredibly uncomfortable. 2. There was no outlet by the bed, and my husband had to ask for an extension cord for his sleep apnea machine, which we had to run the length of the cabin. 3. Throughout the week, the understaffed and overcrowded buffets, bars, and restaurants ran out of water, ice, soft ice cream, and bloody Mary mix. 4. The adults only “Vibe” that could only be reserved once on the ship was sold out within hours of boarding, if not sooner. (I wouldn’t know the exact time because the line to speak with someone was at least 2 hours.) 5. All the on board shows were booked at least days beforehand. They were also very small venues so only a small, select amount of people could see them. For a so-called “Free-style” cruise, there seems to be an extensive amount of pre-planning involved. 6. During the day there were no beach chairs, and the chairs that only had a towel on them stayed for hours without a person or cruise member removing it. 7. The so-called “adults only” whirlpools were over-run with pre-teenagers and teenagers. When we (and another couple) asked a few cruise members to have the children to leave, they refused to tell the kids to evacuate. 8. For the only TWO days we got chairs after 4 PM we were told the towels had to be returned before 7 PM. 9. More often than not, the elevators were incredibly crowded. I am not even referring to attempting to board or disembark. On a daily basis it was a task just to get an elevator and often my husband and I were crowded around several other passengers. 10. We were able to have 3 dinners at specialty restaurants; however, at the complimentary restaurants we had a MINIMUM of a 45 minute wait or had to go later in the evening. 11. At the buffet, it was so difficult to find a table my husband and I took turns standing on line for food. Often, one side of the buffet was closed as well. 12. The bars on the ship were either closed or completely understaffed. Most bars had only 1 bartender and we had to wait 10 minutes or longer for a drink. 13. We were also charged a port tax for the drinks we ordered on the ship while docked. While I understand, now, that this is a law, only 1 waiter informed us. We would do not have a problem paying it; however, we should have been clearly informed. Overall, my husband and I travel to get away from schedules and routines. We want our vacations to be relaxing and stress-free. NCL does not follow their own advertisement of “free-style” and relaxing. We were incredibly disappointed in so many areas. Many of the other passengers we spoke to felt the same way. It’s a shame such a beautiful ship is being run by a company too incompetent to make sure people who have the time and ability to return, do not feel welcomed back.

Not Free-Style, Not Relaxing