Celebrity Equinox Cruise Review

Celebrity Equinox Cruise Review by theinkykitty

• Sail Date: Apr 2019
  • Destination: the Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Concierge Class 3

First and foremost, it was a good cruise. I'm a firm believer in a cruise being what you make of it.

Embarkation was incredibly smooth. I don't think we've made it through check-in and onto the ship as quickly on any other cruise as we did this one.

The staff on the ship, specifically our wait staff in the MDR and our room steward were fantastic. Easily some of the best we've ever had. The food was pretty good in the MDR as well, although I think Celebrity may be off a bit on their portion sizes. Some dishes were way too much, when it should be less, and not enough when it should be more.

We had a concierge class cabin, which was great, although most of the perks were just sort of "eh". My husband is Elite and gets better perks.

This was the smoothest sailing I've ever been on. There was hardly any rocking, the entire time.

The shows were amazing. We weren't a huge fan of the comedians that they had but the shows and the magician were great. This was our first cruise, out of 17, where we actually wanted to attend as many of the shows as we could.

All the ports were great. We were even able to tender into Grand Cayman, which I missed the last time we were supposed to stop at this port due to high winds. We did all of our excursions independent of Celebrity and paid way less per person than what they wanted for the same trip.

There were a few things that really irked me, though. My husband and I are fans of winding down at the end of the night playing some card games where it's kinda quiet and we can actually hear each other talk. So on previous cruises, there's always been the library or the card room that's pretty closed off from a lot of noise. It's been great. We expected the same thing on this ship. However, the card room and the library are both positioned in a manner that when there's a band playing in the grand foyer, and there typically is up until about 11pm every night, the sound drowns out everything. Both the card room and the library are not closed off. The only place we were able to find quiet enough in the evening, aside from our own cabin, was in the World Class Bar.

They seemed to have a bit of an issue stocking the bars, too. Several times over the course of the cruise, my husband would order a drink from a bar menu and he'd be told "we don't carry that". So it was a little strange they'd list a drink they don't carry. We were usually able to find what he wanted in another one of the bars but that was after a couple days and having that, "oh, hey look! that beer is here" moment. For example, at the Passport Bar, my husband ordered a specific beer that was on the Passport Bar menu and the bartender told him "we don't have it" and when my husband asked about it being on the menu, the bartender just sort of shrugged. I can understand being OUT of a particular thing, but not carrying it at all when it's on the menu is a bit ridiculous.

Debarkation was a bit of a disaster. Mainly due to the fact that other than a sheet of paper they give you with your luggage tags, there's no real communication about it. We were told two different things in regards to where to wait for self-assist and even then, where we actually needed to be was different. It was a bit stressful.

I'm cruising on Celebrity again in June so I won't say that I'd never sail on them again but this cruise certainly wasn't up there in my list of the best cruises. It was still a good cruise, though.

theinkykitty's Full Rating Summary

Concierge Class 3
Cabin C3 1279

The cabin was great. It was roomy, for a cruise ship cabin.

Trolley Tour

We did a Conch train tour of the island and it was fantastic. We went by all the major points of the island and then had plenty of time to walk to a few places, like the Ernest Hemingway House and Museum.

View All 176 Trolley Tour Reviews
Costa Maya

We chose to stay on the ship as we'd been in Costa Maya back in November.

Cozumel

We always go to Mr. Sanchos every time we're in Cozumel. We love it.

Stingray Swim

Stingray City was amazing! We were able to touch and feed the stingrays, plus have photos taken with them.

View All 795 Stingray Swim Reviews