3. Norwegian Getaway
We chose this cruise as we traveled with our son's family with grandkids ages 8, 5. and 2 and didn't want to fly. It was Easter week so we knew there would be lots of kids. My husband and I are seasoned cruisers having cruised over 40 times with carnival, celebrity, holland america, royal caribbean, princess and cunard. Embarkation - Horror show - We arrived at the port at 11;30am and it took over an hour to get thru security and registration. On board, we were told it would be at least until 1:30pm before we could get into our rooms so we went to buffet for lunch as grandkids had been on the road for 5 hours and hungry. The buffet was slammed, no tables available. Went to the pub but couldn't get in. We went back up and got food and ate on the lounge chairs by the pool! The ship was full so they needed to make better accomodations for lunch. The first dayon a cruise is always a zoo but we had never experienced such a disaster as this. If you are traveling with young kids during school vacations, bring food with you. We didn't get into our room until 2;00pm. People finished eating but just sat around at the tables because they couldn't get into their rooms. We had 2 balcony rooms next to each other. We requested the room attendant to open the divider between the balcony but he said he couldn't do it due to safety issues. It was very disappointing as we didn't have adjoining rooms with 2 grandkids with their parents, and 1 with us. Anyway, we were able to open the balcony ourselves and did it occasionally. Room- There were plenty of storage space, the bathroom seemed larger than most with shower with glass door. The balcony was soooo small we took the small table and put it in the room so we weren't triping over it. Dinning- The food was not good at all. Buffet - We didn't like the setup with one big line going down once side to the other side. People cutting in and out, just chaos. The choices were typical but presentation and selection lacking. It felt like a school cafeteria. The pizza and desserts were the worst. Dining Rooms - We ate at Tropicana and Savor. The selections were limited and by and large the food was terrible and unappealing. You won't see any salmon or beef tenderloin on the menu and the steak offered was pitiful. I do have to say the Eggs Benedict in the dinning room for breakfast was one of the best I have had at sea. Speciality Dining - We were offered 3 free speciality restaurants. We went to the Steak House. It was okay but the veal chop was all fat. I should have sent it back. The Italian Restaurant had a nice selection but the pasta didn't have enough sauce and was very dry. We enoyed Maderno's the Brazilian steak house the best. The meats were fair but really enjoyed the salad bar. Reservations - You really need to make reservations for the speciality dining before you go. When I booked the complimentary restaurants, they could only give me 5:30pm or 9:00pm. Once on board we had no trouble getting into them at other times but the last night, the line to the Tropicano was all the way up the staircase. I was told by reservations that they leave 70% of the times open for people to book once on board. Our son's family went to the Teppanyaki, hybachi style restaurant. They were charged full price for the kids, even 2 year old. You didn't have to pay if they ordered off the children's menu but who wants to have a hot dog at an hybachi restaurant. The children's menu never offered a pasta dish. They did have mac and cheese which was watery and terrible.. They call it free style dining but it isn't. You need to spend your time making reservations for both dinner and shows. We booked our show ahead of time only to learn they once on board the time was changed. Oue choice was either go to the show or the steak house. We couldn't changed the steak house reservation so we missed the show. What a joke. Activities - The pools for children were separated into 2 pools, one 3 ft and one 4 ft. The one for older kids was very small. There is not a covered or heated pool on board. The best thing was the ropes course. The show Burn the Floor was very good according to my kids. Ports - Tendering to the Private Island was a diaster. No announcements, no written information. Just chaos. I signed up at guest services to be told I would be first off the ship. Never given a number. We went to the Theater and waiting for disembaration only to be told they were waiting for clearance from Bahamian officials but they own the island. It took over an hour to get to the island. Need to build a pier like Royal Caribbean. Nassau -We did the Blue Lagoon and it was great for the kids. My 8 year grandchild swam with the dolphins and loved it. Service- This is the only thing on board that was excellent. All staff we encountered were outstanding. All and all, we will not be cruising on Norwegian ever again even if they offered us a free cruise.

Awful from beginning to end

Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by Micclay

• Sail Date: April 2019
  • Destination: Bahamas
  • Cabin Type: Family Balcony Stateroom

Dinning- The food was not good at all.

The best thing was the ropes course.

The show Burn the Floor was very good according to my kids.

Micclay’s Full Rating Summary