Majesty of the Seas Cruise Review

Majesty of the Seas Cruise Review by SUNYBoy

• Sail Date: Apr 2019
  • Destination: Cuba
  • Cabin Type: Ocean View

The Majesty of the Seas is one of Royal Caribbean's oldest ships, built in 1992. It not only shows its age, but its staff regard it as an old lady as well. Everything from its exterior to its interior to the very basic programs for passengers begs for some attention.

I have high school children ages 15-18. They were all bored stiff. There's almost nothing for them to do but sit inside their room and play games on their phones.

My wife and I also struggled to find activities. The cruise directors' half-hearted energy given to the creation of events even extends to those that are currently on the schedule. For example, I attended a salute to vets and emergency personnel. As one of the two cruise directors named the foreign wars that the attending vets were likely to have participated in, she forgot the Vietnam War. When this was mentioned to her, she had the audacity to argue about it. It's not like all of the assembled didn't hear the flub.

The Majesty's food is average at best, while the service is abominable. We often had to wait for extended periods for our meals or drinks. To add insult to injury, only two in my family managed to avoid getting stomach issues that lasted for days after the cruise.

Speaking of old age, the interior reminds me of a retirement home that hasn't been updated in decades. Rust is everywhere, frayed upholstery is common, and the stench... yup, that too was reminiscent of an elder care facility.

As the many other reviewers here have stated, there is a serious sewage smell, i.e.: methane gas issue, on this ship. Almost as bad is the fact that staff will pretend as though your complaint is the first they've ever heard about this problem... but more on this aspect in a moment.

The gas seems to primarily reside on deck two in the forward section of the ship. However, the first deck gets its fair share of it as well, and on particularly bad days (as it was on 4/26/2019) the smell makes its way all the way up to deck four to the customer service counter.

And so you have to wonder -- given the numerous reviews here and the many fellow passengers who told me that they had also complained during my cruise -- how customer service can state with a straight face that they didn't know what I was talking about. To add insult to injury, I spoke to several maintenance workers who all stated that it's an ongoing problem aboard the ship.

At one point the gas had become so thick within a cross corridor that, when I walked through it, I had to run out because I couldn't breathe... literally. Methane gas can displace oxygen in a confined space (such as a short hallway). That's why people often die when they fall into an open cesspool and can't climb out. In addition, methane is flammable.

Immediately after this incident, I went up to customer service for the fourth time to complain. Yet this time, there was some urgency as the problem was now a public safety issue. I spoke with a young desk officer named Cristobal. Yet instead of writing down my complaint or even contacting maintenance immediately, Cristobal stood in front of me with a pugnacious grin and refused to even answer me. I repeated myself again, yet he would not address the issue at all. With no other choice, I warned him that I would file complaints against the cruise line unless he did something. He chose not to attempt resolution.

The situation is one that can't be ignored, and so the next morning when the ship docked in Key West, FL, I immediately made calls to two government agencies and filed reports. SInce that time, I filed two additional complaints.

If you've been a customer aboard this sorry excuse for a cruise ship and have also come in contact with the sewage / methane gas issue, you too should complain. Out of all of the agencies I filed reports with, the two best are the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the U.S. Coast Guard. In fact the Coast Guard is directly responsible for such issues aboard any cruise ship that docks in a U.S. port.

SUNYBoy's Full Rating Summary

Ocean View
Cabin 2N 2538

I dire need of refurbishing. The room often smelled of sewage because the smell would seep in from the hallway. Shower and sink drains would back up on a regular basis.

The tour guide seemed to be winging it at times. He also told everyone on our tour that he was going to take us to a special place for rum and cigars. It was not an official Casa de Habana shop so I wouldn't purchase cigars here as they could likely be fake. Also, we had Euros with us at the time and the store wanted to give us a horrible exchange rate. Bus after bus showed up to this "special" place, so there was no doubt they had an arrangement with the tour company.

View All undefined undefined Reviews