3. Carnival Splendor
We flew into LAX and ordered a Lyft ride to the terminal. We got there before our assigned arrival time but they let us get in a line for "to early or to late arrivals" which was only a 10 minute wait. We were on the ship rather quickly getting some lunch at the buffet while waiting for our room to be ready. Our cabin was a balcony on the 9th floor. We were on the pool and buffet level. I liked that convenience but it was a noisy room. We were close to the atrium where loud music was usually playing down on the 3rd level. Between that and the noise of activities on the pool deck is was not quiet when trying to sleep. Don't forget to bring a power strip. There was only one outlet in the entire room. There wasn't even one in the bathroom! We were cruising with a group of 9. We met for dinner for our early dining reservations. That's when we found out 7 of us were assigned to one table and 2 were assigned to a different table. That made for a frustrating, uncomfortable evening. They got us all on one table for the other 6 nights. Not as good of a location but at least we were together. We had some amazing servers - Jesus, Maynard and Super. They called us by our first names during the whole cruise, even when seeing us in the buffet. They remembered any special requests we had after the first dinner and brought us milk, extra butter, cottage cheese etc. without us even asking. They chatted with us when time allowed and we learned about how they live on the ship during working months while earning a living. They are away from home for months at a time, I can't imagine. But like Jesus told us, "I need to support my family". Such hard working men. I really admired them. They are paid with the mandatory tips we all pay during the cruise but we all gave them extra tips on the last evening. They earned them! We saw some amazing shows during our week on the Splendor. Two of the shows were done by the cast that had been on the ship for 7 months. The new incoming cast did the other 2 shows. The dancing and singing were very good as well as the sets, lighting and the moving parts of the stage. Very impressive! For those taking this cruise in the next 5-6 months, one of the female singers in the new cast was especially fantastic. Wait till you hear that gal sing!! One of the shows, Studio VIP, takes volunteers from those in line to participate in the show. Two in our group volunteered and it was so much fun to watch. They had a blast! Our first port was Cabo San Lucas. We had booked a tour thru Carnival so we were allowed to get on the early tender boats. Those that didn't book a tour had to get boarding numbers the night before and wait for their number to be called. This can take hours while all the VIP and booked tour guests were getting tendered first. We did the Mexican Outback Safari and Camel Ride. It was a lot of fun and also educational. The camels are well cared for in a nice facility. They were led down near the ocean for a nice 30 minute ride while listening to the waves crashing onto the beach. They take really nice pictures of a camel kissing you, riding pictures and even have a drone filming part of your ride. They are kind of expensive but good quality with vibrant colors, I couldn't resist. People comment that they didn't like this tour because they couldn't take their pictures with the camels. However, I took lots of nice pictures of the camels, the facility, the guide - we just couldn't pose with the camels. Don't let that deter you from going on this fantastic journey! Next stop was Mazatlan were we booked an open air cab tour with Christian who I found recommended on TA. This was our second tour with him. He is amazing! We went for a 4 hour sight seeing tour and trip to the Tequila Factory and Leather Factory. His English is excellent and we learned so much about all the places we went to. Other places we went on our last visit included the Cathedral, Opera House, Tequila Tasting, the Market and touring the city to see all the amazing buildings/homes built many years ago. His rates are very reasonable. You can find him on FB, mazatlanopenairdotcom In Puerto Vallarta we had booked a Beach Day at a resort thru the cruise line. We had all signed up for the 9:30am departure. While getting ready to go, 2 of the couples noticed the times on their tickets had been changed to 2:30! We went down to customer service and were told they had over booked this activity and had to change those that had booked the latest. However, the 2 couples who's time got changed were the first to book, not the last! What really happened?? Another bump in the road. There are many groups traveling together, Carnival should be on top of this! Tisk, tisk!! We all cancelled and they refunded our money. That was a bummer though as we were looking forward to this. We left the ship and found someone offering city tours for $30 per person. He had a nice, air conditioned van that fit all 9 of us. So no beach day as planned but we saved a bunch of money and got a reasonably priced tour of the city. They had 2 craft classes during the cruise but they seemed more for kids, not us adults. We made a card using scissors, kids school glue, and rubber stamps. Other cruises I have been on had fun crafts to do. I always look forward to that but it didn't happen on this cruise. My favorite adult activities were the Love and Marriage show, Battle of the Sexes, the Hairy Chest Contest and the Quest. Very entertaining! There is always a long list of activities you can participate in on sea days. Bring a highlighter to mark those you may be interested in. Lots of kids were on this cruise and there we fun things for them to participate in also. When the ship turned around to head back to Long Beach the wind was horrible! The boat rocked like I had never felt before. I have never gotten sea sick on a cruise ship until this trip. I took extra Bonine, chewed on ginger candy and found that I felt a bit better with a full stomach. It was to cold and windy to go out on the outside decks. The pool has a retractable roof that they closed. There were lots of kids in the pool that was more like a wave pool. It looked dangerous but the kids were having a blast until they drained it for safety issues. Good call Carnival! We had an early flight so we carried off our luggage and were allowed to line up in the showroom to debark earlier. This worked so slick, no need to panic worrying about what time we'd get off. Another Lyft ride to LAX and we were on our way home.

Another Fun Cruise with Carnival

Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by craftycritter

Another Lyft ride to LAX and we were on our way home.
craftycritter’s Full Rating Summary