3. Majestic Princess
This was my second repositioning cruise on the Majestc. The first one was from Shanghai to Sydney in Aug/Sep 2018. Cabin: On this current occasion I traveled with friends (a couple). We had adjacent balcony cabins on deck 14. We chose this cruise because we wanted a cruise that terminated in Hong Kong. My cabin was comfortable except for the very soft pillows that Princess now has. Also, there was a strong smell of stale urine in the bathroom. This was also the case on the earlier cruise when I had an inside cabin. Despite several attempts on both occasions by the cabin stewards to remove the smell, it lingered. Dining: The food overall was very good. We had anytime dining, and ate in the dining room sometimes. We also ate at the International Marketplace, Harmony Restaurant, Crown Grill, Alfredo's, La Mer, and the Noodle Bar, and we did the Chef's Table dining. I thought the Crown Grill on this ship was the best of any ship. The food was excellent and cooked to perfection. I didn't care for the food in the Harmony Restaurant. One of the dishes was very nice but the others were rather bland. La Mer was OK. We ate at Alfredo's quite a few times. Like the food there. Had quite a few lunches at the Noodle Bar. The Chef's Table was not as good as some I've had in the past; more emphasis on presentation rather than flavour. And the food in both the dining rooms and the International Marketplace was pretty good. Ship: I don't particularly like its design which I understand was tailored to the Chinese market. The ship lacks the bar/lounge areas which Australians, including me, seem to like, such as Wheelhouse, Explorers, Skywalkers and Crooners. There was a Crooners on the Majestic but it was the casino's high rollers room converted. Not a crowd-friendly space and tucked away in a corner next to the casino. This was also the nightclub but it didn't really work as that either. The ship has a space called Princess Live on Deck 7 midship. It's like a small theatre. It doesn't really work well for most of the events that it's used for. The seating is quite uncomfortable; there is no bar and wait staff from the nearest bar up the passage have difficulty taking orders and delivering drinks. Apart from a bench across the back of the room, there are no tables so activities like trivia and bingo are difficult there. Also, the Promenade deck walking area does not go right around the ship. It does run up both sides of the ship but it's very narrow in parts and walking is very difficult if there's anyone else in the area. The Princess Theatre has 800 seats for 3500 passengers. This meant that you'd need to get there more than half an hour before a show to have any chance of getting a seat. Most of the activities were held in the Piazza as there was really nowhere much else to have them. A couple of times when we were dining at Alfredo's (on Deck 6 in the Piazza), the music in the Piazza was so loud that we couldn't have a conversation. The Majestic has an adults area on Deck 17 called the Hollywood Observatory. It's an indoor area that has a good sized pool, a bar, lots of lounges and other seating, include cabanas which can be closed off for privacy. A lovely area except for two things - some recorded birdsong which is really unnecessary and gets on your nerves after a while; and the fact that the whole area is air conditioned. That's OK if you've gone there just to read or play games, etc, but it makes it very cold when you come out of the pool! Entertainment: The entertainment was very good overall. Some excellent performers, and the production shows were great. Lots of activities. We never had trouble finding something enjoyable to do. Service: The service on the ship, as always, was excellent, although I noticed that there seemed to be less wait staff than usual in some areas. This meant that there were sometimes delays in getting vacated tables cleared, or getting a drink. This was my fourth cruise with Captain Dino Sagani at the helm. While his daily noon navigation reports were always informative, I've never seen him or his officers out and about the ship other than at official functions. Ports: While the number of ports was small (only 6 including Hong Kong), there was plenty to do at each. I found the destination presentation for Kaohsiung to be very helpful in getting a feel for the logistics of the place. The only Princess shore excursion I did was to Long Tan and Nui Dat in Vietnam. So much Australian military history in that part of the world. We were privileged to participate in a short memorial service while at the Long Tan Memorial. Embarkation and disembarkation went smoothly. Would I go again on the Majestic? Probably not. I don't care for that class of ship. I much prefer the Grand or Gem class.

Lovely new ship but not an appealing design

Majestic Princess Cruise Review by jem001

Ship:

Entertainment:

Service:

Ports:

Embarkation and disembarkation went smoothly.

Would I go again on the Majestic?

jem001’s Full Rating Summary