3. Norwegian Gem
Food and service were excellent; however, NCL has a serious problem with design of its mini-suites and the staff's ability to determine reasonable fixes. NCL offered incentives to book mini-suites for two cruises that we booked, one in April (7 days) and one in June (14 days). The April cruise we just completed became an issue about an hour after we gained access to our cabin. There are no electrical outlets next to the bed headboard. The fix was to string a residential extension cord across the cabin and duct tape it to the floor to allow use of a CPAP machine. We had an 11 year-old grandchild in the cabin; the dangling cord to the floor was a tripping hazard. The larger problem was the bath/shower combination in the mini-suite. The shower was over the bathtub, not a separate unit. This would have been fine if the design used a shower curtain; however, a 3-piece sliding glass door system was installed on top of the tub. It added four (4) inches to the access height. My spouse could not access the tub. Reception immediately send a 6-inch stool to the cabin to correct the problem. The response was so fast it must not be the first time it happened. My spouse attempted to use the stool; however, the fixed pane of the 3-piece glass door restricted access. So, for seven days, my wife had to take "bird baths" in a mini-suite. Our June cruise is on the Norwegian Pearl (same type ship). So, I attempted to obtain help to change our cabin for the upcoming cruise to one that has a usable bathroom. The staff on the Gem (Next Cruise) was rude, no help. The reception desk researched deck plans for the Gem and Pearl and gave helpful advice on which cabins would meet our needs. Caution: If you are 5'4" or less and have two knee replacements or any other medical restrictions, I recommend you avoid mini-suites on the Gem. We are trying to get NCL to revise our cabin assignment to one with only a shower or to one that has separate shower and bath facilities.

CAUTION: Mini-Suite design issues

Ages 10 to 12
Get Norwegian Gem price drops

Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin MB 11124
Do not advertise your mini-suites as one bath and one shower. It is a combination bath/shower with restricted access.
Deck 11 Inside Cabins, Suite Cabins