3. Koningsdam
I have cruised around 13 times, usually loyal to Royal, so I was nervous to try Holland America because I felt the vibe would be too low key for me. While the energy on the outdoor decks was too low key for me, the energy at the various music venues and main stage was just perfect. All other aspects of the cruise and ship were also perfect, so this was pretty darn close to a perfect cruise. We added this cruise to our winter itinerary only about 3 weeks before departure because we were scheduled to be out of the country. We chose this particular cruise because the dates were perfect and 11 day itinerary took us to some islands never visited. First, the condition of this 2 year old ship was sparkling clean and new. The attention to every detail in terms of design, cleanliness, and maintenance has been meticulous. I was surprised to learn that our last minute upgrade to a balcony room landed us on the 4th deck and an extra large balcony. Our room was very clean and our bathroom seemed larger than usual (but not suite size by any means). Secondly, the service and hospitality were outstanding. Every staff member greeted us with a smile and a hello. The cruise director was consistently professional and upbeat. The captain was outstanding. Great mix of professionalism and humor. The food was the best cruise food I have experienced in a long time. The buffet stations were staffed and each meal was quickly crafted with fresh and healthy ingredients. We made it to the main dining room only twice because of our love for the various food stations. We also enjoyed two dinners in the specialty Italian restaurant. Our itinerary included stops at St Thomas, Bonnaire, Martinique, St Kitts, St Lucia, St Marteen, and HA’s private island. All good stops but our faves were St Kitts and Barbados. The only aspect of this cruise that I would want to be different is the lack of love music on the pool deck, especially during our sea days. Given the theme of the ship and all venues is music, I remain baffled why live music from any of the numerous bands on board was not provided by the pool deck, if even for a couple of hours around lunch time or during the sail away. Some reggae on a Caribbean Cruise is a must for me but there was NO reggae at all. Despite this, the various headliner and regular shows below deck were exceptional. The lack of outdoor music is nearly a deal breaker for me; however, given the exceptional levels in service, food, ship appearance, and indoor entertainment, I will strongly consider Holland America for all future cruising. (As a side note, we cruised on RCCL a few days after this cruise on a long planned cruise, and I have to say RCCL was out performed by HA in every aspect, except for the pool deck vibe and music which I really look forward to any cruise).

Pleasantly Surprised

Koningsdam Cruise Review by mainelycarib

mainelycarib’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Koningsdam price drops

Verandah Stateroom
Cabin VF
Sorry. Don’t remember cabin number or specific type but it was extended balcony on 4th deck. Loved the spacious balcony and what seemed to be a slightly larger bathroom. Very clean.
Navigation Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins