3. Allure of the Seas
Our experience on the Allure of the Seas with Royal Caribbean Cruise. 3rd Cruise, 1st with RC. The entire cruise started out poorly with it taking close to a month to book our shore excursions due to having to go through a special area because of handicapped guests. The only way to reach them was email and it took them a week or two to respond the first couple times and after that, I was getting no response at all. I finally had to reach out to the executive office, and it was handled within a couple days with all shore excursions approved by the tour operators themselves. (Apparently the girl that was helping us got sick and there was no one helping or monitoring her email account and “we just slipped through the cracks-??”). At the time we booked our cruise (2+ months in advance), we booked through Royal Caribbean and provided them with all 8 of our birthdays and they arranged our 3 rooms accordingly and all was well it seemed. Over a month later, they decide to send an email and mention that we have 2 “minors” (18 and 20 yrs old) in a room by themselves which is not allowed unless they are in a room attached to ours. The first guy told me when I called that there was nothing they could do, the cruise was full, and we would have to pay extra to upgrade our room to get one next to them. I did not like that answer, so I called back again a couple minutes later to another manager and now there is no other rooms available at all because the cruise is at capacity. Needless to say, I had to make several phone calls and spend a lot of time finding an appropriate manager before they were able to “fix it” so we were all still able to go on the cruise. By Fix, I mean they changed the names around on the reservation, to make sure a adult was listed with a minor in each room. Mind you, this was very close to sail date so we had no other choice, and this “fix” effected us several times throughout our cruise when they could have easily told us this policy when we booked the cruise with the representative, so we could have worked out a solution early on before all the available rooms were gone. Getting on the ship wasn’t too bad and once on the ship, we head to the buffet to get food while the rooms were still being made up. The line was a mile long obviously with everyone having the same idea, so I went up and asked the employee standing at the front what other places were available to eat that were FREE on the ship. He mentioned 3, Johnny rockets being the only one we could understand, so we headed down there, all 8 of us with 2 elderly individuals in scooters. It took us 25 minutes just to get an elevator to take us down because it was so busy, just to find out Johnny rockets wasn’t free as the worker had advised. We ended up having to eat there anyway because everyone was hot, hungry, and aggravated. After eating we headed up to the rooms to find 3 of our bags missing from one room, and 1 bag from another room. At this point, it was past sail away time so we headed down the hall to find a steward to ask about the bags. We get half way down the hall and see two of our missing bags in front of another door. We found the lady that was taking care of all the baggage on the floor and told her about our bags being in the wrong place and one still missing on this floor and another missing on another floor. She wouldn’t let us take our own bags to our room, she said she would get them and bring them and find our other one, which I’m sure is some policy or something, but to be honest, they obviously didn’t do a great job the first time around so it was difficult to leave our bags, but eventually we did get all our bags that belonged at each of our rooms. We then try to set up the WiFi... I’ll just shorten that experience recall by saying we spent an hour between the WiFi desk and the App desk trying to get our WiFi package to work for all of us AND get everything re-situated with the apps because of how they had to list our names on the rooms to comply with their minor policy. (My information and plans were listed on my husbands app and our daughters on his, etc). After all this time wasted, we noticed we had different dining times listed on our sail cards even though we had prearranged to all eat at one time at the same table, this was apparently due to them rearranging our names due to the minor policy again. So next we go to the dining area desk and speak with them. Spent several minutes with them not being able to resolve it, so we were told they would contact us in the morning. We went back to the room to change and get ready for a late night show and the phone rings. It’s a lady from the shore excursion desk telling us we won’t be able to do the tours that we had arranged prior to boarding and had ok’d directly with the tour operators themselves. At this point I just told her I’d call back in the morning because we had spent the entire first day handling issues and had not been able to enjoy anything and I was finished. The second day we wake up and go to breakfast in the dining hall, and were met by two very rude employees. Apparently it is a very BIG inconvenience for the workers if you have a large party and/or scooters which we had both. We left breakfast feeling awful. Now looking into the RC app, our dining time now shows late dining instead of early dining and my daughter gets a notice on her door that our dining time was changed to a different dining area but with early dining, so off to the dining place we go again to verify what was going on. 30 minutes later, No one can figure out how the late dining got put in, and they verified the dining in the other dining area was correct. Ok fine.. so we go down and check out THIS dining hall and find it right next to the casino. You can smell a horrific smell of smoke coming into the restaurant and my daughter has health issues so obviously a smoky dining room isn’t going to work for us. Back to the dining booth with another promise of someone going to handle it before the day is up. Thankfully we had specialty dining that night and didn’t have to eat in the regular dining room. At this point, I again contact the executive office and let them know we have spent all of the first day and most of the second just trying to deal with issues and I was just about to the breaking point. I paid a lot of money to enjoy myself and be stress free; not spend the entire day handling problems. I then proceeded to the shore excursion desk to try to deal with the call from the night before. They told me I needed to go to guest relations because they knew nothing about anyone calling. I get to guest relations, wait in line for 15 min for them to tell me I needed to go back to shore excursions. I proceed back to shore excursions, and no one is able to tell me why the person called or what was wrong with my shore excursion. I spent over an hour there, had a break down and started crying, and finally she contacted the manager of the shore excursions. He also had no idea what was going on and said he would have to wait until the evening when the other workers arrive to find out who called and why they had called (because apparently she is the only one that knows what is going on with my shore excursion??) and would get back with me later in the evening. Also thankfully we didn’t have shore excursions until the 4th day. We went to dinner at our specialty restaurant and everyone was so nice. We thought it was because of the specialty dining, but the waiter actually asked us what happened for the dining manager to get involved because apparently they told him to treat us well. We also had a visit that same evening from the head of dining to hand deliver our new dining table number and he mentioned to let him know if there was anything he can do for us from here on out. While I agree that was great customer service, I don’t think people should have to complain to get treated nicely. We took a carnival cruise prior to this one and everyone was accommodating and kind all the time. We did have a great dining experience for the rest of the cruise in the evenings when they apparently knew who we were. The remaining lunch times were still met with rude staff that was annoyed at our large party and the fact that they had to accommodate us with disabled individuals. That evening when we got back to the room, we receive a phone call from the shore excursion manager saying even though we had prior permission to have the scooters on all of our excursions with the tour directors themselves, one particular excursion is now saying we have to push wheelchairs instead of use the scooters. These are the comments from the tour director after sending in a long questionnaire and all the dimensions of the scooters, and the height and weight of the people driving them etc.. Comments:  “So long as the guest can navigate 3 stairs on and off the bus/boat and the scooter/wheelchair can collapse and fit under the bus they are welcome to join the tour.” So now, even though we spent all this time and effort, sent in all required information they needed to get approval and got the approval from the tour directors themselves, they are now changing their mind and the shore excursion manager said there was nothing he could do because it was the tours themselves, it wasn’t Royal Carribean. (We did go on this tour with the wheelchairs and found we could have maneuvered the bus way better with the collapsible scooters versus the wheelchairs, not to mention all the effort it took for us to push them around all day, so it was extremely disappointing to say the least). If everyone wasn’t looking forward to getting off the ship and seeing the area, we would have just cancelled the tour. We actually seemed to have issues all throughout the cruise ship with accommodations and their scooters. In the dining room, the elevators, shops, etc. Their room steward told them that they only needed to call in the evening and the steward would come and pick up their scooters, charge them, and bring it back in the morning at what time they request, but 75 percent of the time they called, no one answered so we had to find a worker each evening to call for us. On the second day, a lady called my mother and was very nasty to her telling her she can not leave the scooters in the hall during the time they are in their room. We asked the Steward again and he said it was fine to leave them and no one could figure out who the mysterious lady was that called and was crazy about it. On the last day, we had two nice people who pushed my mother and my grandmother in wheelchairs part of the way but changed to another two individuals halfway through, around security. When we were outside, the guy told my mom she could keep the wheelchair out there until our ride arrived since we had to leave the scooters on the boat, but the lady pushing my grandma asked if she could stand on her own and then told her if so, she needed to give the wheelchair back. Now my grandma is almost 90 and can’t stand for more than a few minutes so I asked the lady if she could leave the wheelchair like the guy left moms, and she said she couldn’t and took it and started walking away. I followed her and asked her nicely to leave it and she said it was Royal Caribbeans policy they couldn’t leave more than one wheelchair (so if you have 2 disabled people, apparently one is out of luck). I ended up following her and tried to get her name off her name tag and she ripped her name tag off and started yelling about how she will call the cops, and she would not allow me to get her name. She finally went through a door and screamed to the guy that I wasn’t allowed in there, and I was just trying to explain that I wanted her name and even the guy tried to look at her name badge and she grabs it out of his hand and yells at him to quit touching her. He tells me who her manager is, I go speak with him but couldn’t give him much information on who she was because she snatched her name tag, and he said he would go and try to find out who it was but at this point our ride was there so we had to leave. I have never been treated so awful, not to mention my 89 year old grandma was left outside with nothing to sit on and there was no benches available. Also this problem was very minimal compared to the rest, but we found a few times when we went to go do activities (carousel and zip line specifically) they were closed even though they were suppose to be open. We also ordered room service with cokes and water and specified we had the drink package to cover the drinks, but when they brought it they brought Evian bottled water instead of the bottled water that came with our package and canned coke instead of a glass of coke that would come with our package. We ended up with over a $30 room service bill which should have just been the $8 service fee. Also, the “jewelry making class” consisted of you purchasing your own jewelry kit and following the directions to make it yourself while trying to hurry up and get it done before the next class started. After this, we did not attend any more of the “classes” and even cancelled our cupcake decorating class we had scheduled. We chose Royal Carribbean because their customer service and overall cruise experience is suppose to be unmatched, but found out first hand things aren’t always as they seem. I will give a huge shoutout to our amazing waiters for our regular dining time and our stewards, both which were very funny, nice, and accommodating. The shows were great, and the food was good, but overall extremely disappointing for the money spent and the time wasted dealing with all the problems.

Save your money, go with Carnival

Allure of the Seas Cruise Review by Penn08

Ages 7 to 9
Get Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas price drops

Ocean View Balcony
Cabin 7D
Cabin was usual cruise cabin, could have used more storage, balcony was nice
Deck 9 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins