Norwegian Epic Cruise Review
4,228 Reviews

The good, the bad, and the ugly

Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by Team Triplett

• Sail Date: Apr 2019
  • Destination: the Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Mid-Ship Balcony

My husband and I have been on several Norwegian cruises (Escape and Jade) and decided to go on the Epic.

The good: embarkation process took about 30 minutes -buffett food was decent - most of the staff we dealt with were friendly-comedians were hilarious-food allergy attendants were very knowledgeable- main dining restaurants were very good- The Beatles musicians were fantastic

The bad: The shows were terrible and there were no family appropriate show options. All of the game shows were held in the attium where the seating was cramped and it was difficult to hear. The casino was right in the middle of the ship so you had to walk through smoke to get to restaurants, shops, etc,.

The few options that were family friendly cost an additional fee and were always booked. Disembarkation was the most unorganized thing that I have ever seen. Lines in every direction without any guidance from staff. It took us three hours to get off the ship. We were oin our disignated area at 7:45 when rhey called for us and did not get through customs until 10:45. It was a complete nightmare people breaking in line and no one there to direct you where to go. When we asked where to go we were told to follow the line.

The design of the staterooms was terrible. The toilet area was tiny and and there was no privacy. My husband and I kept waking each other up because the toilet was so loud when flushed. The bed was wide, but it’s curved which makes it shorter. I am 5”8 and my feet were hanging off the end of the bed.

The ugly:The ship was dirty- our stateroom 11179 was disgustingly filthy. When we entered our stateroom there were crumbs on the bed, the floor and the carpet was stained. We asked our steward to vacuum our room and he apologized and cleared the crumbs. I noticed a stain by the bed where someone had thrown up on the wall and it had obviously ran down to the carpet. I showed the wall to our steward and he said “oh that is an old stain, but I will try to clean it”. As he was cleaning the stain and the dead bug that was smooshed on the wall he picked up a sleeping mask and handed it to me. I explained that the mask did not belong to me and he apologized.

In summary, I will continue to cruise , but I will never go on the Epic again.

Team Triplett's Full Rating Summary

Mid-Ship Balcony
Cabin BA 11179

Virgin Gorda

We booked our excursion when we got to Tortola at the information kiosk. For $38 (per person round trip) we were able to go the Baths on Virgin Gorda. The fee included both the ferry and taxi. We were able to go to the Baths and swim and explore for four hours.

View All 248 Virgin Gorda Reviews
St. Thomas

We ended up going to a few shops near the port and then we found a K-Mart (5- minute walk from the ship) and stocked up on beer, soft drinks, snacks and souvenirs

Team Triplett