3. Norwegian Sun
We chose this cruise because it visited Havana, and it was short. We had never been on a Norwegian cruise before, but after reading the reviews, we were sort of dreading it! It seemed that this was going to be a bare-bones, very basic cruise with the advantage of visiting one of our bucket list locations (with the ease of getting into Cuba via a cruise). But it turned out to be better than expected! Our voyage featured excellent service, a really friendly staff, and a mostly adult crowd (I don't suppose a lot of kids want to visit Cuba!). This is on the small side for Norwegian, about 2,000 passengers, so if you want a megaship with waterslides and 20 restaurants, this ain't your ship. But the specialty dining we enjoyed at the French place (Le Bistro?) was really good and reasonably priced a la carte. At dinner, the main restaurants (Four Seasons and Seven Seas) were both more than adequate, with super efficient service and surprisingly good food. Maybe our expectations were so low that it just seemed good...I don't know! But me and my husband were pleased with the variety and quality of the food. I will say that breakfasts are fairly basic. The gym is great, everything you need. We didn't use the spa. There is only one pool area on this ship, split into shallow and deep pools. If you wanted a relaxing day to read at the pool, you won't get it on this ship. There is constant blasting music happening poolside. From what I understand, these short Cuba cruises include all drinks. You are still on the hook for daily gratuities, but having drinks included in the cruise price is great. No surprises at the end of the cruise for your booze bill! :) The wifi is shockingly bad on Norwegian Sun. I think they have a hamster running on a wheel in the belly of the ship that runs the server haha. Seriously, they would be better off not even offering wifi than offering such substandard wifi and having everyone be frustrated with it. The poor guy at the internet service desk was constantly being visited by annoyed passengers trying to access wifi. That guy is underpaid!! Our balcony cabin was small but comfortable. Nothing out of the ordinary, nor extraordinary. Tiny bathroom, lots of little cubbyholes for your stuff, a small coffeemaker, other basic amenities. As usual on nearly every cruise we've experienced on Holland, Silverseas, Celebrity, and now Norwegian, the entertainers worked their asses off with super broad material. I'm always amazed at how they do so much with such absolute cornpone. Overall, for the money we paid, we were thrilled with this bargain trip to Havana. We drank, we saw Cuba, we sang karaoke. What more can you ask??

Better than expected!