3. Regal Princess
We have not cruised on Princess for over ten years and that was on the Emerald Princess when we were totally new to cruising. Since then we have cruised over 25 times on NCL, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Holland America and Carnival. The itinerary went from Fort Lauderdale to Princess Cay, then on to Falmouth, Jamaica, Grand Cayman and finally Cozumel, Mexico. We did not plan any excursions in Jamaica or Grand Cayman so we stayed on the ship during those stops. In Cozumel we only went ashore to visit the shops as we have been there dozens of times previously. We flew down to Fort Lauderdale a day early just in case of any flight delays. We had a direct flight with Air Transat which was four hours. I had booked us into The Link Hotel on Sunrise which seemed to be a nice hotel when I looked at it on the internet. It had breakfast included and an airport shuttle plus it was fairly close to the port. My mistake in not checking the reviews on “trip advisor” before I booked. The place was a dump. It was basically an old three storey motel where they cleaned up the main reception area so it looked nice. The elevator had pieces of the wall smashed out; the walkway (cement) to our room on the second floor was dirty with old spills that had never been cleaned up. The room had dark laminate flooring so you couldn’t see the dirt. I had on clean white socks and after an hour of walking around unpacking they were black on the bottom. The TV set had thin black lines all through the screen and there was a rip in the ceiling where you could see the insulation. The bathtub had a bunch of cracks in it and there was no plug or metal grab bars. The breakfast was continental and with only one staff looking after the whole area it was also dirty. Someone spilt dry cereal on the floor and it was never cleaned up. We won’t be going to that hotel ever again. We took a shuttle to the ship but we were the last people off so after leaving at 10:30 we did not get to our ship until 11:30. Luckily we were able to go directly aboard after our check-in. I was very surprised to find empty tables in the buffet on the Lido deck at that time of day. I am convinced that the ship was not fully booked. Anyway, the food on the ship was excellent and the service was beyond anything I think I have experienced except on MSC when we were in the Yacht Club. We had a mini-suite on deck 15 (Marina) and it was very convenient to everything. The cabin had lots and lots of storage space with large drawers, a closet with shelves and another larger open closet with dozens of hangers. The balcony was pretty small but there were two high-backed, tilting chairs and a large table so it worked fine for the two of us. We had a bathtub in this room and the only problem we had was with the water pressure. It took 8 minutes to fill the tub and the shower was fairly useless because you had to stand so close to the taps since the pressure did not make the water go farther than about 2 feet out. The ship itself was beautiful. Very classy with lots of gold, brass and marble. Very clean everywhere. I was not very impressed with the elevators since the interior was lovely etched glass mirrors, marble floors and THEN an ugly advertisement pasted on the interior of the elevator door for their “medallion” scheme. VERY tacky. The adult pool in the retreat area was very nice but it was not salt water and the shallow end was 5’2” so you mostly had no choice but to swim constantly unless you just clung to the sides. The water temperature was comfortable. You would have to get there early to get a lounger in the shade but we are early risers so it worked for us. We booked a cabana for the second day of the cruise and the sixth day and then booked a spot in the Sanctuary for the other three days (mornings only). These have padded loungers and are in the retreat pool area (adults only). This did not work well. The first (sea) day it was so windy that you could not use the cabana so we ended up cancelling it and they switched us to the Sanctuary. This is a lovely area with very comfortable padded loungers and constant attendants bringing you ice water, etc. However there is no area with complete shade. The tent-like roof is made out of a type of mesh material and the areas between the metal beams are open to the sun. These gaps are about 2 feet wide so you may find out that you were getting direct sun on some parts of your body and not be aware. The cabanas are $50.00 for a half day and the Sanctuary is $40.00 for a half day. We only planned to use them for the mornings. After the second day we cancelled the rest of our bookings since it was very hot and I ended up with sunburn on part of my arms. The entertainment was very good. We went to two musical/dance shows and two comediennes. The comedienne was hilarious. One of the shows was Beatle maniacs and they were good but I have seen better Beatle imitation groups. Most of the music all over the ship was either live classical (lovely) or 50’s – 60’s so we really enjoyed that. I should mention that most of the music was played at a level where you could actually still carry on a conversation!! We only ate in the main dining room once and the service was great but I was not really impressed with the food. It was better in the buffet and you had a much better selection. They had an outbreak of noro-virus around the fifth day of the cruise and we were totally impressed with their job of sanitizing the ship and looking after the passengers. This is the first cruise I have taken where they announced the outbreak and told us what procedures were being implemented to deal with it. We HAD to wash our hands (with soap/water) before entering the buffet. Servers handed us our dishes and cutlery. Condiments were removed from all the tables and the serving utensils on the buffet were changed about every hour. Staff were wiping down tables, chairs, handrails, etc. constantly. We did not book any excursions but booked a clamshell when we went to Princess Cays. Lovely area and lots of fish when snorkelling. The buffet lunch was great with burgers, hot dogs, bbq ribs, fruit, etc. There were several beaches for swimming and a few shops selling souvenirs. We did not tender into Falmouth or Grand Cayman. There was a sports deck on the ship but it was on deck 19 and in the full sun. There was an area to play lawn bowls, golf putting, shuffle board and a basketball court where they also had pickle-ball at set times. For us it was just too hot to stay up there for any extended period. INTERNET - I had to mention this because my husband cannot stop talking about it. The speed was nearly as fast as our high-speed connection at home. He was very impressed. It is much cheaper to book this package on-line before you go. The casino was good with a non-smoking section. Disembarkation went very smoothly and was not crowded at all. We were off the ship and waiting for a taxi within 30 minutes. Overall we thoroughly enjoyed this cruise and we will be planning to take more with Princess. We booked this cruise because of the excellent price for a mini-suite and the fact that other cruise lines are putting their prices up into areas that make it too expensive for us to book. The whole "free" airfare, drinks, etc is such a scam and we use none of those perks but still have to pay the price for everyone else.

Amazing Ship and Crew

Regal Princess Cruise Review by NSAHO79

• Sail Date: April 2019
  • Destination: Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Mini-Suite with Balcony

We did not tender into Falmouth or Grand Cayman.

It is much cheaper to book this package on-line before you go.

The casino was good with a non-smoking section.

NSAHO79’s Full Rating Summary