3. Norwegian Jewel
Where to start? Let me start with the positives , I found the crew (except for the hostess in Chin Chin) to be universally cheerful and helpful. The Cast and Crew of the stage entertainment were excellent and professional - I really enjoyed the cast shows. And that's it.... Now lets look at the negatives. Our Balcony room , especially the bathroom was tiny. It was the same size of my inside cabin on the P&O Oriana......and THAT was lacking in the cat swinging facilities. The bed was comfortable , the balcony area was the smallest I have used in all my cruises. Excursions. I booked 3 with CruiseExcursions.com and all were half the cost of the Norwegian offerings (for the same tour). Thankfully , the debacle of the tendering at Ko Samui seems to have been sorted , in fact , to give them their due , it was probably the most efficient operation I have experienced.The three excursions that I booked with Norwegian occured as expected. One problem with the itinerary of this Cruise was that the cities advertised were a very long distance from the ports used , Bangkok, Ho Chi Minh city and Hanoi were all at least a 4 hour round trip. We had an overnight stay in 'Bangkok' but there was no real prospect of sampling its infamous nightlife because of the travelling time . This was a wasted overnight stay , a far better option would have been to overnight in Ha Long Bay which seemed to offer many excellent sightseeing opportunities and could be walked to in 15 mins!. Norwegian charged $99 for a Cambodian Visa , irrespective if you left the ship or not , now it may be Cambodian law that a visa must be issued , but the visa in my passport cost $30.... a $70 profit filched by Norwegian left a very bad taste in my mouth. Entertainment. I hardly saw the Cruise Director at all, and the offerings during the day were a mixture of quizzes and deck sports. There were however , a large choice of Pay activities . The Pool areas were clean and there were plenty of sunbeds. Evening entertainment consisted of a variety of one , two or four piece bands that played in all the main lounges and bars , in fact it was difficult to find some peace and quiet . entertainment finished early , the deck parties closed down when there were hundreds still partying, and most venues shut at midnight, despite having guests using them eg: Karaoke bar!. Food . I found the food palatable but not exciting . We tried Tsars Palace and Azure for evening meals , portions were small. There was no problem about getting a table for 2 , in fact we were never asked if we wanted to share a table....so imagine our surprise when a couple were sat at our table in Azure! Luckily , we enjoy sharing......... The buffet restaurant was good for variety , but they should install some microwaves for guests to reheat the lukewarm offerings. The Jewel is the smallest ship in NCL's fleet, TBH it was tooo small for me , there wasn't the breadth of entertainment that you get on the larger ships . This visit for me didn't give me any reason to book NCL in the future, i'm off back to Celebrity and Royal Caribbean!

Too many negatives

Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by OOHSUITUSIR

• Sail Date: April 2019
  • Destination: Asia
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

Now lets look at the negatives.

Entertainment.

Food .

OOHSUITUSIR’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Jewel price drops

Balcony
Cabin BB 10652
Only 2 plug sockets and 2 USB sockets, no bedside cabinets . Lack of drawer space
Deck 10 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins