3. Allure of the Seas
My wife and I, along with her cousin and her husband, booked this cruise over a year ago and could hardly wait to get to this ship. My wife and I flew to Melbourne, FL to stay with her relatives before renting a car and driving down to Miami the day prior to the cruise. We spent the night at the Best Western Plus Airport in Kendall, about 25 miles from the port. This hotel was very nice with a hot breakfast buffet. We really enjoyed staying here, even though it was a little ways from the port. We passed a Bahama Breeze restaurant and decided to have dinner there. It was OK, nothing to write home about. Service was VERY slow. The next morning, we returned the rental car to the airport and took the rental shuttle to the port. It was here that we set our eyes upon the biggest ship we've ever seen. The Allure is huge! Traffic around the RCI Terminal A is horrendous, as construction of another terminal is taking place next door. People trying to leave the terminal while others are trying to get inside make for a huge mess. Once we handed off our luggage to the porters outside, we headed inside to a very spacious building. Checking in took less than 5 minutes before we headed to the waiting area. We finally got to board the ship after a 35-minute wait. WOW...is the first thing that comes to mind when you see this ship for the first time! It is huge both inside and out! It's like standing inside a large mall, with shops and restaurants galore. We proceeded to the Windjammer for lunch. It was NOT as crowded as we imagined. In fact, it was never crowded during the entire cruise. They have different stations set up so there are no long lines anywhere. There's so many different food selections for both breakfast and lunch. We enjoyed everything that we had. Great food! Around 1:00pm, they announced that all cabins were ready, so we headed down to ours (cabin 11-203). We had a Central Park Balcony cabin and it was fantastic! Loved it! Our steward was Andrew from Trinidad and he did a wonderful job tending to our needs and desires. Kept our ice bucket constantly filled. Great job! The little shower "capsule" took some getting used to, but we managed. The sheets and pillows on our bed was so very, very comfortable. In fact, we liked them so much that we bought a set later on in the cruise. I had ordered an extension cord, distilled water and a sharpe's container for our cabin and none were there when we arrived. I needed the cord and water for my CPAP machine. I arranged it with the Special Needs department six months ago and even had an acknowledgement from them saying it would be there upon arrival. Nope! Took 2 days to get the water, four days to get the Sharpe's container and never did see the extension cord. Good thing that I brought my cord with me in my CPAP case. Dinner in the main dining room was fabulous! The meals were very good and served quickly. We never spent more than 75 minutes in there. Our head waiter Clyde and his assistant Marvin took care of us extremely well. We never had anything that we didn't like and had as much as we wanted to eat. With all of the specialty restaurants on board, which we didn't bother going to, we couldn't have asked for better meals. So very, very good! The shops onboard were a little expensive for our tastes. There were not many t-shirts selections until the "20 for $20" sale on the last day. Michael Kors, Coach and the other stores didn't appeal to any of us. The evening shows (Momma Mia, Blue Planet, OceanAria, Ice Games and the juggler) were the best shows that we have ever seen aboard a cruise ship. Hands down! Very entertaining and professionally done. Outstanding! We found little things to do during the day, so we spent most of our time people watching from our cabin balcony. Enjoying every minute. I played a couple of trivia games. Let me tell you, RCI goes to no expenses when it comes to "trophies" for winning....a key chain! If you're lucky, you might win a highlighter! A far cry from a "ship on a stick" at Carnival. Bingo was so costly that we never played a single game. And we never set foot inside the casino. Too smoky for us. The Lido deck was as expected...very crowded in the afternoon. Chair hogs everywhere. If you went out on the deck right after breakfast, you wouldn't have any problems finding a chair or two. There are 5 different pools on this ship, with the best being the "Beach Pool", where you can place your chair in the water then lay back and relax. Caution...if you go back to play putt putt golf, DO NOT sit on the wooden benches along the side. There are covered with soot from the smokestacks on the ship. My wife's cousin ruined a pair of pants that she had just worn for the first time. You may also want to wipe off the chairs if you go to watch the OceanAria show, as they too are in line with the smokestacks. RCI tried to clean her pants for her but they didn't come clean. We booked an outside company for our excursion in St. Maarten. Went to Orient and Maho Beaches (2-hrs at each). Plus got all of the rum punch, water, sodas or beer that we wanted during the tour. It was so awful to see the hurricane damage at Orient Beach, our favorite place on the planet. But we still had a great time. And we enjoyed watching the planes come in over Maho. In San Juan, my wife and I stayed aboard the ship and enjoyed the hot tub and pool. The others in our group head off to explore for a couple of hours. We stopped last in Labadee. This place is beautiful. However, RCI needs to post where swimming isn't safe. We went to Adrenaline Beach, got 4 chairs before heading to the water. A life guard immediatlely told us to get out of the water because it was unsafe. He told us to head farther up the beach to swim. So we packed up, dragged our chairs 200-yards up the beach only to be told it wasn't safe there either! So we just gave up on swimming and laid back to sunbathe. You would thing that these areas should be roped off, but they weren't. But I will tell you what saved the day for us....a Labadoozie! This was the best drink that any of us had ever had! YUM! This was our 25th overall cruise, the 3rd with RCI. There were some things that we liked better than Carnival, but the the staff seemed to be a little rude on Allure and that turned us off. The food and entertainment was, by far, better than Carnival. But the ship was way too big for us 60+ year old cruisers. So much walking to get to everything. We should have done this ship years ago.

Too much ship to see!

jordanaire’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas price drops

Central Park View Balcony
Cabin 2J 11-203
Very nice cabin. Shower "capsule" a little tight, but we managed. The air temperature was perfect and the beds very comfortable (we even bought the Cariloha Sheets like the ones on the bed). Had over 20 hangers in our closet and plenty of storage as well. There's a safe in the closet in which you can create a 4-digit code to open/close it. The TV only gets a few channels. You can check your account balance, dinner menu and much more on it.

The balcony overlooking Central Park was the best part. Our cabin steward Andrew opened the partition between our balcony and our friend's balcony next door. There was live music every evening that we enjoyed while sitting out there. And it was very quiet inside once we went to bed each night. Great cabin! Highly recommend! Comes with a free lunch for 2 and a bottle of wine.
Deck 14 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins