3. Marella Explorer 2
At the time we booked the cruise because we thought we were going on a brand new luxury ship. Wrong. It is an old ship which has been refurbed once before. Some of the public rooms had had a make over and seeing them for the first time raised expectations about the cabins. But looking around you realised many of the carpets had not been replaced in the upgrading. Unfortunately the cabins were shabby. The bathroom was grubby looking and I don't think it had been updated since it was new. There were none of the luxury touches I would expect of a 5 star holiday on land. No shampoo, creams etc. Just bog standard soap, and shower gel in a large container next to the shower. Our bathroom flooded one day when some valve broke, maintenance sent someone within half an hour who looked at it but the water stopped before he got there so he declared it fixed. Half an hour later it started flooding again and this time he had to replace the valve. I thought he would have sent a cleaner to clean up the water on the floor but I had to do that. Our safe did not work. There was only one electrical socket in the cabin. My room card stopped working and had to be replaced 6 times. We had a disabled cabin which was quite large, but the ordinary cabins were very small and had a step to the bathroom. One night the water was a bit choppy and the bathroom door kept sliding open and shut all night long as it didn't close properly. Food was OK but nothing great. Veg was frozen, including roast potatoes and chips. Not a lot of choice in the Market Place buffet, and no gravy with pie and mash.....! Premium restaurants were very expensive, ie £25 for the Indian restaurant. Very few people wanted to pay it so it was empty most of the time. On the last or second last night it was advertised in the notice put under your door every night as now being on offer at £19.95 after 9pm. Cocktails on the all inclusive were weak and made with a "mix" rather than real fruit juice so were very acidic. Staff were very friendly in the main, always saying hello when they passed by. However, some would say "sir" or "ma'am" and they often got the gender of one female guest with short hair wrong. We went on only one excursion which was OK. The entertainment was not our taste. Singers and dancers were young but quite good. The shows were not well written. Cinema was outside and the weather was poor. My mother had been looking forward to seeing a movie or two. You could purchase a movie package for the TV in your room but who wants to sit in their room on holiday. There was a couple of movie channels on the TV but they were often very old, or strangely for an adults only cruise, Disney style cartoons. Disembarkation was a fiasco. Your luggage was taken downstairs overnight you had to find it next morning using a colour coded label given to you the day before. The buses were late getting there so the queue of people with cases coiled in the hall. An expensive disappointment. My first and last cruise.

Not 5 star

Marella Explorer 2 Cruise Review by Seasickofcruising

We went on only one excursion which was OK.

An expensive disappointment. My first and last cruise.
Seasickofcruising’s Full Rating Summary