3. Norwegian Sun
We chose this cruise as it was very reasonably priced and it was our first time with Norwegian.. Embarking was quiet an experience with the staff shoreside being quiet short and abrupt if you had a question to ask. Once onboard we went straight to the outside restaurant on deck 11 for a snack and drink, the bar staff seemed very rushed and a tad rude, probably due to the amount of people they were trying to serve, so put it down to work overload. Our reservation was deck 4 mid ship, I didn’t like the fact that we could only access it from either end of the ship and the aft access was via 1 small elevator or small staircase. After spending the night in the room we simply had to move, the AC noise was, at the very least annoying. We upgraded to a balcony on deck 8, this was much more roomier and not quiet so loud, much easier to access and better located. We were allowed to choose which restaurant we went to for dinner, thankfully this was the case s the 1st one went to was awash with the smell of smoke, seven seasons on deck 5 aft. We then went to Four seasons, deck 5 mid ship, although the smell of smoke was all around the atrium it didn’t creep into this restaurant too much. Our service in this restaurant was excellent, although I think the menu could have been a bit more varied from day to day they did try to please us. We found the layout of the ship very disjointed with having to go up and over to come down again just to get to somewhere next door on the same deck, very weird. The worst part of this ship is the smell of smoke on some days, I think most was coming from the casino and maybe because of the age of the air handlers it seemed to spread far and wide, it really was quiet sickening and I found I couldn’t sit in many places due to this awful smell. I did make it know to customer services how unpleasant I found it and it seemed many others were of the same opinion, the ship did try to pump air fresheners thru it’s system but they we short lived. Our cruise was only 6 days and we were ashore for 4 of them so we didn’t have much time for the entertainment but the daily activities was a little bare. In brief, if you are not handicapped and if you don’t mind the exercise then you will overcome the ships layout.. if they stopped smoking in any indoor areas or upgraded their air system this was a very pleasant cruise. The staff were very welcoming and helpful and the service at dinner was excellent.

Challenging Layout of Ship